Railroad Forums 

• NJCL locals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#117899  by northjerseybuff

Does anyone have a list of current freights currently using the NJCL. I was in South Amboy the other day and heard freight symbol LI-26 in town..why was a linden local on the NJCL?
 #117908  by nick11a

northjerseybuff wrote:Does anyone have a list of current freights currently using the NJCL. I was in South Amboy the other day and heard freight symbol LI-26 in town..why was a linden local on the NJCL?
LI26 comes down to Woodbridge on the NJCL (usually on Mon, Wed and/or Fridays) to serve cutters. It is usually a short train with a few tankers for Cutters and they sometimes have the blue caboose. LI26 also works on the NEC at Deans and around County on the other days typically. They have one GP40-2 on this train. Last I checked, they had NS 5282.

Also, PR8 (I think it is eight if I rember correctly) comes down from the chemical coast to service the steel plant in Perth Amboy daily on weekdays.

Plus, you have the plethora of trains coming up and down the chemical coast, through Perth Amboy and the across the Raritan River Draw and onto the Amboy Secondary. Usually, I catch these by luck.

Then, you have everyone's favorite train, the SA31 operating from Browns to South Amboy Junction, down the NJCL to the Southern Secondary and back again. This train can have a variety of motor power from Geeps to SDs (but usually Geeps) and usually is substantially sized.

For more info on freights on the NJCL and on the NEC, visit this site. Most of the information can still help you but some of it is outdated.

http://www.geocities.com/transit383/times.html

#117996  by njtmnrrbuff

I might be in either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy on Friday, during the height of the rush hour. Probaly the chances of seeing a freight are slim, especially if the coastline is a two track railroad.

#118007  by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I might be in either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy on Friday, during the height of the rush hour. Probaly the chances of seeing a freight are slim, especially if the coastline is a two track railroad.
You might be surprised. I caught a westbound train heading across the Raritan at Perth Amboy for Browns with two SDs on a Friday once at 3:58 PM (just before rush hour.)

#118138  by Engineer

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I might be in either Woodbridge or Perth Amboy on Friday, during the height of the rush hour. Probaly the chances of seeing a freight are slim, especially if the coastline is a two track railroad.
Woodbridge on Friday, you won't see a thing.
Perth Amboy, you should see two. PR8 would come down to do Raritan River Steel or whatever its called nowadays. Gerdeau or something like that. The train normally goes down mid morning and returns early to middle afternoon. This train doesn't run everyday, kind of runs almost daily as needed.
You'll also see about 11-1130AM the SA42 returning from Oak Island. You'll normally get a big train with either two or a a combination of two SD40-2s or SD45-2s and a decent sized train. Crew runs out of time at noon, so it gets close and sometimes doesn't make it back and sometimes must get recrewed.
Hmm, well I guess that could make three total then...

#118559  by GandyDancer

I've seen them the last couple of Friday evenings at State St. and Hall Ave. You're on public and then private property (but not railroad property) walking in from State St. right up to the tracks.

But of course, since I didn't have my camera, I wasn't really railfanning.

The last remains of the LV ladder yard are hidden in the weeds between the tracks and HarborTown. Grab a WWII-era spike or a lump of genuine Black Diamond before they're all gone.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.51960 ... &t=k&hl=en