Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit "national disgrace"

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1454223  by CLamb

How does he expect someone with only business education and a career in highway management to fix a railroad problem?
 #1454255  by SecaucusJunction

Well at least he's identified the problem. Now if only he can fix it...
 #1454266  by ExCon90

Some decades ago there was a widely circulated theory that if you understand the principles of management you can manage anything without actually knowing much about it. The key will be whether the newcomer 1) understands that there's a lot to learn and 2) is a fast learner.
 #1454292  by pumpers

How many people did Christie give jobs to at NJ Transit (based of course mostly on political considerations, not that they were experts in running a transit system)?? I have heard numbers like a dozen or more (and in relatively high level jobs,too). I hope when Murphy talks about tear it down and built it back up, he has that in mind.
 #1454377  by time

ExCon90 wrote:Some decades ago there was a widely circulated theory that if you understand the principles of management you can manage anything without actually knowing much about it. The key will be whether the newcomer 1) understands that there's a lot to learn and 2) is a fast learner.
They still teach that in B-school. It is partially true - Homer Simpson is a prime example.
 #1454440  by EuroStar

While familiarity with railroading is a plus, it is not necessary for top manger. As long as that business degree person knows how to find, hire and promote people with the right railroad knowledge, they will do fine. The current situation is due primarily to hiring and promotions being decided in Trenton by connections as opposed to by the people running the railroad and by merit.

We will wait and see, but I hope that those of upper management who did not deserve to be at NJT in first place get shown the door quickly. It is hard to imagine the replacements being worse.
 #1454745  by blockline4180

CentralValleyRail wrote:I despise Phil Murphy with a passion but I've got news for you, he's 100% DEAD ON ACCURATE on this one. Of course the change needs to happens, words are just air.
I agree wholeheartedly, however did he at least make a law and provision that said engineers or conductors will not be able to smoke pot on the job after it is legalized for recreational use, since it seems to be his most important issue lately?? Sorry, just some dry humor.
 #1456412  by EuroStar

This thread seems the most appropriate to post a new article blaming car shortages on lack of spare parts: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... parts.html.
"(Those older) parts are difficult to procure because vendors no longer carry the parts," Lavell said. "Some equipment consumes parts faster than the vendors can bring them to the shelves."
I imagine that he is referring to the Arrows, but maybe even the older Comets are giving them trouble.
 #1456473  by blockline4180

EuroStar wrote:This thread seems the most appropriate to post a new article blaming car shortages on lack of spare parts: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... parts.html.
"(Those older) parts are difficult to procure because vendors no longer carry the parts," Lavell said. "Some equipment consumes parts faster than the vendors can bring them to the shelves."
I imagine that he is referring to the Arrows, but maybe even the older Comets are giving them trouble.
When it comes to NJT, if an article about them says "new equipment is still years away" then it probably means 5+ years away.. I hope I'm wrong, but if your thinking they will have a bunch of new engines and EMU ML cars replacing everything by 2020 is wishful thinking, imho..
 #1456475  by blockline4180

Another article....
Don't know how he can find 100 new more political hacks to replace the ones he wants the resignation letters for, but I guess you have to try anything..
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/201 ... ansit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1456478  by EuroStar

blockline4180 wrote:Don't know how he can find 100 new more political hacks to replace the ones he wants the resignation letters for...
I suspect the thinking is that NJT can do without most of the political appointees. It is not as if they drive the buses or run the trains. I think Santoro knew this was coming, so he bowed out in advance.
 #1456482  by blockline4180

EuroStar wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Don't know how he can find 100 new more political hacks to replace the ones he wants the resignation letters for...
I suspect the thinking is that NJT can do without most of the political appointees. It is not as if they drive the buses or run the trains. I think Santoro knew this was coming, so he bowed out in advance.
Yeah true, good point.... I guess less is better then a lot who may cause further damage... Not that they haven't hit rock bottom already.