Railroad Forums 

• NJ railroad Museum

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#123257  by railfreek

I'm just curious about the progress of the rail museum in Phillipsburg. Last time I was there they had a couple of 44 ton locos and some decaying boxcars. The museum building was a small green shack basically, although it was filled with some nice displays. I also remember some rails spaced maybe 10" apart which went into the side door of their engine shed. Maybe they had some live steam.
Any way, Is the museum still located in this same spot? Have they acquired any more rolling stock. How about engines? Is this where the 142 runs from every weekend. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks. Tony

#128144  by David

Gee--Does anyone have ANY information about the New Jersey Museum in Phillipsburg?--It has been a long time since I have heard anything--Any answeres for the above post?--Thanks

#128208  by washingtonsecondary

I believe at last report the bill was still held up in comittee on the state level. There has been no movement on it in a very long time. Basically this bill controls all the money for the transportation center.

#128318  by kilroy

I know a developer is trying to buy some of the proposed museum land right along the river for luxury condos. If that happens, the museum is dead (at least in p-burg.

#128319  by Ken W2KB

The bill can be found at:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/Bills ... 465_I1.HTM

It would not actually appropriate any funds, but rather establish the corporate entity as well as a related corporate entity empowered to solict donations. It is an important step, as once enacted it affords a vehicle to which appropriations of state monies could be made.

#128325  by Ken W2KB

As to the questions in the first post, the Philipsburg Railroad Historians is not the same effort as the proposed state transportation heritage center, e.g., the state museum. They are one of the proponents of the state effort and would be associated with it, but remain separate, as I understand the current thinking. The miniature track is from the Becker Farm operation that used to run in Roseland, NJ, and it has a gasoline engine powered diesel model and several passenger cars. It is operated periodically at open houses and special events.

The 142 operates from a new station to the west of the site, go over the bridge that crosses the Lehigh Line and Washington Secondary, pass the passenger station building on the leftand turn left at the first street to go down to the river level where the Bel Del track and passenger platform constructed last year is located for the excursions.

#128384  by David

What exactly is stored there? Are there enough items there worthwhile to pay to look at? When I was there last summer, It was difficult to see anything from where I has access to.