Railroad Forums 

• NJ - Cedar Grove trail

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#4891  by railtrailbiker

There is a new bridge over the Peckman River and the span over Pompton Avenue now an improved surface (ties were covered with dirt and gravel).

Photos of both improvements are posted on traillink.com (select NJ then West Essex Trail).

#5186  by Ken W2KB

[quote="railtrailbiker"] . . . now an improved surface (ties were covered with dirt and gravel). . . quote]

My definition of improved is "ties were partially covered with 2 steel rails spaced 4' 8-1/2" apart. :wink:

#13719  by fairlane57

Rode the Cedar Grove today. From Great Notch to the High School in Verona. Where does that continue.

Hey, Ken! I'm from Bristol, R.I. to be exact. Narragansett side. Shoot me a line.

#13773  by railtrailbiker

The trail crosses Fairview Avenue just north of Verona High School and heads southwest for no more than 3/4 mile. It ends at the western dead end of Arnold Way in Verona.

Not many trail users bother to cross Fairview Avenue, so the route there is very difficult to see. Cross the street and just envision where the tracks may have led and you'll find it.

The ROW property south of Arnold Way was sold to private developers because Essex County got hung up dealing with angry residents in the area who did not want the trail.

Full history of the trail's creation can be found here:

http://www.last-exit.net/essexcounty/in ... ept/p/west

#28305  by BlockLine_4111

So NIMBY was a factor ?

#28365  by railtrailbiker

Yes; NIMBY was a huge factor in keeping this trail shorter than originally planned.

I believe the trail was originally to be named the Caldwell Bikeway. Now, it does not even reach into Caldwell.

#162257  by BlockLine_4111

Any new updates on trail renovation?

#163138  by railtrailbiker

Not much to speak of. A damp creek bed in Cedar Grove has a more permanent crossing now, but that's about it.