Railroad Forums 

• NJ announces 2021 rail construction grants

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1575155  by Tanker1497

CharlieL wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:15 am Yeah, startin to cook them eggs. Next 2 weeks may be exciting (I hope).
CharlieL any time a line that's been OOS this long can come back to life, we can just cheer!
Speical Thanks to the Coast Line is in order!
 #1586147  by Tom V

JohnFromJersey wrote:
CharlieL wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm
In addition, just a wild thought, I think that if Red Bank-Farmingdale gets seldom used after this project, and the Gateway Tunnels *actually* happen, I can see NJT starting a limited/starting form of the MOM line, with it terminating by the old asphalt plant on Asbury Rd in Farmingdale or terminating somewhere in Freehold.
That would be a place to start, passenger rail service to the Route 9 corridor is desperately needed. I've lived here my whole life, 40+ years, and the growth is becoming exponential in some areas. Lakewood and the surrounding communities are the fastest growing towns in the State and all that growth is choking Route 9 all the way to Sayreville. I commuted for five years, 2015-2021, to Lower Manhattan from Freehold on Academy Bus. I wish there was a rail alternative to the NJ Transit and Academy buses.

I live off Rt. 537 by Centra State, I would prefer the MOM alignment via Jamesburg and Englishtown as that would more parallel the Route 9 communities than the Red Bank alignment. Second it would also offer more opportunities for in State rail connections to New Brunswick. The Red Bank alignment would be more of of a NJCL branch line than an actual new line.

The Red Bank alignment might be a good compromise if it were to serve Freehold, not all the way to the Borough but perhaps to a park n ride near the intersection of Route 33 and either Howell road or Halls Mills road. But then what about Lakewood? Would it be practical to have two branches off a branch? Also if the Red Bank alignment did go to Freehold there would be a bit of the LGA Airtrain issue with going in the opposite direction (East)before heading in the right direction (North/West).

The NJCL trains that originate in Bay Head and Long Branch could skip the stops West of Red Bank like Middletown, Hazlet, Aberdeen/Matawan and let the trains that originate from Farmingdale/Freehold/Lakewood serve those.
 #1586167  by JohnFromJersey

That was a really good power point. Props to whatever Conrail/state official that made it.

A couple of things I found interesting:
1. There was barely any mention of the SOUS-FIT reconnection, besides a single page table.

2. Mentioning of Winslow-Woodmansie
This one I was shocked for them to mention. Some people have mentioned how Winslow-Woodmanise is a potential route for reactiviation on the forums here, but that seemed crazy. It seems, however, that it has been decently considered by the powers that be to reactivate the route. After all, it would be a pretty good thoroughfare (although a pretty long detour), since if reactivated, there would be little to no customers on the line (no local trains to foul traffic), no NJT trains, etc. However, it seems that the NEC and whatever else handles current traffic levels well, so this might be considered redundant trackage

That being said it would be an enormous amount of money to just simply clear the ROW and get it to Class I FRA status. However, the PowerPoint did not mention economic costs, just mentioned that restrictions north of Woodmansie (track speed and the height restrictions the closer you get to Red Bank) would make the concept not feasible. I'd imagine, if FIT-SOUS was reconnected, that could maybe open some doors.
Maybe that C&D grant for the FIT reconnection is carrying a little more weight than we thought prior
 #1586172  by CR7876

jdh823 wrote:Everyone looks right at that grant for thr Freehold/Southern but what goes unnoticed is:

What did NJRC and kinkisharyo get money for?
Rail Infrastructure improvements.
 #1586188  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:01 pm If they really want another corridor (to keep freight off the Amtrac-NJT main line), maybe they should really look at the Pemberton-Whiting corridor before it gets developed.
You mean this? https://sites.google.com/site/getthereb ... river-line

That's the old Philadelphia and Long Branch I believe. It would be a much more direct connection between Philly/SouJ and NorJ, however, I'd say it's an even worse contender than Winslow-Woodmansie.

Between Mt. Holly and Pemberton, the ROW is currently the Mt. Holly Rail Trail and the Indian Trail. Very hard to convert those back into rail. Pemberton onto Whiting, the ROW is there, and not a trail, however, there is no rail left whatsoever. It's also super developed from Camden to Pemberton.
With Woodmansie-Whiting, they at least have some rail to work with, and don't have to worry about rail trails. Also NJDOT owns the ROW of the Southern Division remnants, not sure who owns the P&LB remnants.

Either line needs a complete rebuild and would probably cost the same, but rail-trails in the mix make things incredibly difficult.