• NHRHTA gets interesting a'gin

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by CannaScrews

Every once in awhile, there is a true debate as to who NHRHTA thinks they are or who they should be.

Check out this board http://thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforum.y ... topic/5977 http://thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforum.y ... topic/5977.

I don't post there 'cause I was banned by "The Great One" way back.

So I'm interested in your thoughts and not particularly interested in "PC Sucks" attitude. They existed - deal with it!
The question is one of enlightenment I think.

Have fun y'all & play nice.

Canna
  by Noel Weaver

It is obvious from my posts there that I do not agree with some of them. There is a good chance that I will reduce my
participation there as a result of all of this nonsense.
There are other things in life besides that forum.
Noel Weaver
  by MJRuef

That thread on NHRTHA became awfully overwrought. I enjoy talking to open minded, creative people who have an irreverent sense of humor but are serious when it matters. I enjoy viewing and posting on NHRHTA, but I hope that the cool people who also vist there, Like Noel, aren't alienated by the minority of haters who lurk on the site. That would result in it being a lot less interesting.

Perhaps we should come up with a politically correct way of referring to the New Haven's succesor railroads on NHRHTA, to wit:

Penn Central "Successor Carrier No. 1"
P&W "Successor Carrier No. 1-A"
Conrail "Succesor Carrier No. 2"
Metro North "Succesor Carrier No. 3
Amtrak "Successor Carrier No. 3-A"

Any other ideas?
  by TomNelligan

I too have found the tone of that debate quite remarkable. I wasn't a huge fan of Penn Central either, but hey, it's part of history, and it seems obvious to me that PC is one of the many postscripts to the story of the New Haven.

I was especially amazed that in the minds of some, the the NH RS3 that's alive and well and running on the Naugatuck RR is somehow outside NHRHTA's scope.
  by CannaScrews

You know - Nazi Germany was the epitome of evil, and it seems that Penn Central came in as a runner up.

But, have you checked the number of scholarly [and not so if you watch the War Channel] works which abound?

Why say the world ended on 12/31/68 & we will not bring ourselves to acknowledge the fact that there is nothing more to life than that.
"If you are interested, there are other organizations who will cover that topic" is pure New Haven snobbery!

Sorry, I'm only about the ORIGINAL CNE RR. Life ended in 1928, too bad.

Sorry - whites only.

No dogs, Irish or Jews allowed.

Seems that prejudice is prejudice.

And the modelers.....
how can you make a model of NH 529 since the only prototype for a New Haven locomotive - no matter how modified does not exist past 12/31/1968? Where are the original drawings?
Ditto with any existing FORMER New Haven piece of equipment. Maybe the only real piece is the Daniel Nason in St Louis.

Life do get interesting when you start to try to spin an inflexible point of view into the future.
  by CannaScrews

MJRuef wrote:That thread on NHRTHA became awfully overwrought. I enjoy talking to open minded, creative people who have an irreverent sense of humor but are serious when it matters. I enjoy viewing and posting on NHRHTA, but I hope that the cool people who also vist there, Like Noel, aren't alienated by the minority of haters who lurk on the site. That would result in it being a lot less interesting.

Perhaps we should come up with a politically correct way of referring to the New Haven's succesor railroads on NHRHTA, to wit:

Penn Central "Successor Carrier No. 1"
P&W "Successor Carrier No. 1-A"
Conrail "Succesor Carrier No. 2"
Metro North "Succesor Carrier No. 3
Amtrak "Successor Carrier No. 3-A"

Any other ideas?

The whole thing about NHRHTA is that they are not politically correct, nor do they have to be.
Life on Earth ended 12/31/68 - period.

Actually, what are the 5 stages of mourning???

And what stage is NHRHTA at?
  by H.F.Malone

MJR (and not the "MJR" that many old-time VRR/CVRM folks know) said:

"I enjoy talking to open minded, creative people who have an irreverent sense of humor but are serious when it matters"

Well, our boy Canna sure fits THAT description, as do many of the posters on this site. The "other brand" seems to be populated with a bit too much self-importance, me thinks. And way too much "red" type. Hey, wait, maybe that red stuff is New Haven-related....y'know, like all the red ink the NH had on its books!

HFM
another irreverent yahoo, and proud of it
  by Noel Weaver

Well, sometime down the road NHRHTA will likely fade away. The reason I say that is because all of their leadership is past
their prime to my knowledge and it is the only organization that does not permit the election of its leaders by the members.
When a BOD or officer steps down the remaining ones pick somebody else to step in. They do not attract very many younger
members and when these old timers are gone so is the organization.
I don't dislike the leadership here, some of them I have known for a long, long time but it is time for new blood and new
leadership policies.
Attendance at North Haven in 2009 year was a disappointment in my opinion. I had a table there and I didn't do too bad but a lot of people who had tables there spent a good part of the afternoon just sitting around in a chat session. Some of the
leadership denies that but I saw it myself. A change in dates and location would help this event but they refuse to address
it, just like the railroad, grandpa did it that way and we are going to do it that way too. I remember that on the New Haven
and other railroads in years past too, sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not work.
As I said I plan to reduce but not eliminate my participation on their forum in the future, I had a long and very interesting
career with the railroad industry and if my comments on my career and experiences after January 1, 1969 are not welcome,
then I guess it doesn't make much sense to include very many remarks at all.
I can only wonder how the leadership of this organization accepted Stanley Crane, then president of Conrail to speak at
North Haven back in maybe 1988 or 1989 or so, I don't remember the exact year. I guess somebody of his caliber might
not be welcomed today or maybe somebody from Conrail, Metro-North, Amtrak or Providence and Worcester either.
I guess I have vented enough for now but to say that I am upset would be putting it mildly.
Noel Weaver
  by MJRuef

Hopefully someone will archive the information that has been developed in all of these discussion forums so that it survives their demise. I don't blame Noel for being incensed. He is very generous with his time and knowledge, and I think he was addressed very disrespectfully by the haters on the site, none of whom can claim credit to the breadth and depth of his knowledge and experience. Maybe they are jealous, but who cares, there just isn't any rational basis for their attitude. Everyone can just "vote with their feet" and migrate to the site that they are comfortable with. I know I'll be looking to go where Noel goes, because that is where it will be interesting, as well as civil.

As far as limiting the choice of officers to an ever dwindling pool of incumbents, we in West Virginia call that inbreeding...nothing good comes of it.
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Well, that seems to be a very narow minded group of posters there! Well, I like the ole 529 just as she is and working with her has been a pleasure!

I wonder if Southern Pacific modelers would ever shun the 4449. You know she's been "modified". Hmm.... :-)
  by CVRA7

Well, folks, I guess this site is a good home for those who would like to discuss what became of the New Haven post Dec. 31 1968. I have noticed a lot of names here that I have long known and respected.
I was going to post something on that other site regarding how I used to enjoy "The New Haven Railroad TODAY" in various NHRHTA publications but seeing the expressed feelings of the management I won't bother.
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Wow that threads justs turns my interest away from them. It does seem that they are a MODEL TRAIN group wanting only discussion of the glory days and the only thing post 12/31/68 should be about model trains. How short sided and ignorant. Well I for one say that level headed NH and POST NH conversations be continued here. I for one never saw the original NH or PC for that matter and barely remember Conrail, however I consider myself a New Haven fan because thats the "home road" my only connection to the NH is the equipment preserved by the MUSEUMS in CT and discussion by several old timers, other than that I never saw it. To shun any such postings post NH does a great disservice to keeping any thought of the NH alive in future generations. NHRHTA will wither up and die just like the railroad they immortalize, because they refuse to acknowledge the fact that both the railroad and life have continued on since the New Havens demise.
  by red baron

CVRA7 wrote:Well, folks, I guess this site is a good home for those who would like to discuss what became of the New Haven post Dec. 31 1968. I have noticed a lot of names here that I have long known and respected.
I was going to post something on that other site regarding how I used to enjoy "The New Haven Railroad TODAY" in various NHRHTA publications but seeing the expressed feelings of the management I won't bother.
Can I post here in red font so I can feel special?
  by H.F.Malone

But of course, red baron. Doing so will make us exiles all feel a little bit more at home.

Right?

HFM
  by Noel Weaver

After reading through a bunch of issues of the Shoreliner and seeing remarks, pictures or articles post New Haven, it is very
evident that the remarks on their forum last week were directed persnally to me and at me. This makes it all the more
hurtful. While I haven't been barred, I no longer feel welcomed there and thus will govern myself accordingly.
I saw pictures of LIRR engines, Amtrak, MBTA, Metro-North and other stuff, there is certainally a double standard evident
here in the least. In my opinion, one person is behind most of it.
Noel Weaver