• NHRHTA gets interesting a'gin

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by TomNelligan

Noel, I certainly hope you will continue to post here. You had an interesting career that spanned a lot of changes in the railroad industry, and I think there are a lot of us have always enjoyed reading your reminiscences, NH or otherwise.
  by MJRuef

Here, here! Anyone that would alienate someone of Noel's caliber is just plain ignorant. I just posted something on the NH site about catenary and feeder sectionalizing breakers that I operated when I worked in the towers many, many years ago. Of course, since it was during the PC era, I took pains to say that my experience dated from the period of the "first succesor carrier." Let's see if this passes their test of policital correctness....Hey, now that you mention it, PC stands for that too! LMAO!!!
  by Noel Weaver

MJ, I don't think they will take exception to you, they did mine simply because I wrote them. The had a comment Wednesday
about Amtrak and put a dig on there about that but again because I did not wrilte it, nothing will be said.
Noel Weaver
  by H.F.Malone

Here's a very interesting and enlightening quote recently sent to me by the premier "poet laureate" of the New England railroad scene:

"How LITTLE they know of England,
who know ONLY of England
(author unknown)

How LITTLE they know about the New Haven
who know ONLY about the New Haven"
(author's name withheld for his protection)

No, HFM is NOT the author.... but heartly agrees with this sentiment.

HFM
Bunker 26
Cape Anne
  by mxdata

It seemed in that discussion as if the interest of some of the participants in the New Haven's equipment goes no deeper than the coat of paint.

And the paint had to be applied before 11:59:59 PM on 12/31/68. :wink:

Gentlemen, there are other organizations with New Haven interests that deserve and would welcome your support.

RMNE for example. :-D

MX
  by mxdata

Also see the discussion "How railfan groups treat industry people" under the Museums, Tourist Railroads, and Historical Organizations heading on Railroad dot Net.

Railfanning is not a job, you are not obligated to participate in or support organizations where you are treated disrespectfully. Non-profit is a tax filing status, not a certification that an organization deserves your support. There are plenty of organzations that value and respect participation, so there is no need to jump over hurdles and through hoops for groups where people are rude to you.

MX
  by edbac333

Noel,
I believe I speak for many who would like to thank you for your time and efforts that go into your postings.We do recognize that there are times you dig into your archives before you answer to be sure your answers live up to your standards of excellence before you press the send key.Your posts set the bar of the quality we all should look at in our own.
On many levels I look forward to your posts.To start they are good railroad reading in themselves,but as one digs deeper the amount of learning one can get of the human aspects of the job,how a railroad works,and the historical record of railroading from the scope of the entire northeast and the New Haven system right down to my hometown area of Ansonia -Derby Ct.I am always trying to learn anything i can of the industrial history of the Naugatuck Valley as well as its railroads and your posts add to that.
Thank you again,
Edward Baclawski
  by mxdata

Noel,
I agree with what Ed said, and I am going to take it one step further. Your writing deserves a wider audience than is available through a single railroad historical society or an internet discussion group. In the interest of history and to preserve some of your experience and knowledge I would encourage you to concentrate on writing articles for the national railroad enthusiast magazines. It isn't too difficult to find topics that would benefit from your experience and perspective, in fact you can identify things that need your attention readily just by looking through the discussions here and on NHRHTA.

You have an excellent ability to write, take a shot at the big stuff, don't waste time on things that are small change.

Hit the most difficult targets you can, and ignore the criticism from the people who are jealous of your ability.

MX
  by CannaScrews

This forum would be a good place to hang your hat for posting about "The New Haven - before, during and after".

The historical society members which who feel painted into a corner can come here & intelligently discuss issues which affect more than the parochial goals of their organization.

Museum organizations with or without forums can also come here to discuss issues which need airing outside of their respective organizations.

What I am not proposing is an alternative to RYPN which serves the preservation community generally, since I support that organization efforts.

This is a good place to play in the sandbox without worrying about turds newer than 12/31/69 being stepped on and causing a stink. Besides, a good tweak [in fun, of course], or a serious discussion without name calling or diatribes is most welcome to the people who can handle having their brains [or branes - a quantum chromodynamics term which has a lot to do with time and space] stretched.
  by Noel Weaver

Thanks much for the support, my friends. I will continue to post on here.
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

A friend alerted me to this discussion... I'm not even sure I want to venture over to the NHRTHA site to read what mess they've gotten into over there.

I'll say this. I was once a member of the NRHHTA (perhaps the youngest, at 30?) and a great many people were available to help me with my research and provide materials as I requested them. Very helpful folks, I could not have completed my book project without them.

At the same time, I felt unwelcome, and eventually I decided not to renew. So, who's fault is that? Well, mine. No one asked me to leave... I left of my own accord as I felt I had contributed all I could to the cause and that my energies could be better spent elsewhere. I'm not sure I'm ready to lay blame at the feet of NHRTHA. If you go to your friend's party, and you don't have a good time, is it always the fault of the host?

Perhaps there are some at NHRTHA who have an agenda to only discuss events as they happened up to 11:59pm, December 31, 1968. Perhaps there are those who are only interested in producing accurate models. Perhaps there are those only interested in publishing. Whatever is going on over there, it appears there is a perceived hostility coming from somewhere, and no matter your opinion, you'll accidentally bump up against one of the many agendas and get on someone's bad side. Maybe that's why I felt I didn't fit in, I couldn't figure out where to set up camp without causing a disruption in The Force.

I am very grateful to the folks who take their time to share their knowledge with our website, and I hope to encourage others to share here as well. Also, please check our New England Railfan Form, as we have an active bunch over there who post regular updates from the Naugatuck Railroad, the Valley Railroad, and other former New Haven properties still in operation.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=126

My only agenda is the sharing of bona fide information and the advancement of the preservation movement wherever possible.

-otto-
  by mxdata

Being a member probably seems more worthwhile if you are a disciple of Matterialism.
That is the worship of paint and lettering that may not Matter too much any more. :wink:

MX
Last edited by mxdata on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Noel Weaver

I think the problem over there is that the modelers are trying to take over and I think they probably will. Historical stuff is
OK as long as you stop at December 31, 1968. I can't always do that so I will skip it alltogether. Just now one of them
told me that I can post post 1968 stuff but don't tell the history of something. I refuse to be censored so I will stay in the
clear and leave the swiltch lined for them, it is easier that way.
Noel Weaver
  by mxdata

They have lined themselves for a siding.
They just don't realize it yet.
Problem is the rails there were pulled up on 1/1/69.

There are plenty of groups out there that are worthy of your time and effort.
There is no need to bother with situations that are unnecessarily adversarial.

If you find that your route to share information is blocked in one-railroad groups by people who consider themselves to be the exclusive gatekeepers of railroad history, bypass them by taking your presentation to the national railroad enthusiast press. When they see enough articles about their railroad written by their members showing up in other peoples publications, they may eventually get the message. By then it may be too late for them, but that is their problem, not yours.

MX
  by Stag Hound

Speaking of red, a little country called the SOVIET UNION also had an affinity towards such a color. In fact, the direction NHRHTA is headed is running a similar parellel to "Mother Russia" circa 1917-1991. I'm sure my brethren will assist me in the facts but where do begin:

1) Total misinterpretation of the original manifesto and purpose. ("New Haven Railroaders of all eras, UNITE!")
2) Series of strong but completely ineffective and misguided leaders. (Lenin, Stalin...etc)
3) Censorship and reinterpretation (denial) of historical events, people, and places.

See any similarities?

Now, where is Tailgunner Joe when you need him? Oh Senator McCarthy, HUAC is calling!

Signed,
The car fomerly known as Stag Hound...now called the "St. Petersburg", no wait, Petrograd...strike that...Stalingrad....OH HELL...Engels, go get me some red paint!