Railroad Forums 

• NH yard device

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #956498  by chnhrr

I came across this picture showing an I-5 resting at what appears to be Cedar Hill. What interests me more is the device shown on the left. Can anyone identify this? With the unit set at a low height I don’t think it’s a speaker.
 #957145  by Noel Weaver

We had some lights that looked something like that, I think that is what it was. I remember them both in Waterbury and a couple of other places too. I don't remember any speakers at Cedar Hill enginehouse although the yard had them as did other yards around the system. No radios in those days except in one or two places but not on the trains at least to any extant.
Noel Weaver
 #957429  by chnhrr

Noel
Thanks for your insight
I was hoping it was an early form of a detector, but it’s was just a light fixture with a shallow reflector.