Railroad Forums 

• NH Poughkeepsie trackage - extant?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1006157  by nydepot

I posted this in the NY forum but figured I'd try for more help. I think it's been determined the track is gone as this was line to the bridge. Any idea where or where the photographer was?

---------------------------------

No affiliation with this auction but was curious is this trackage is still in use (Metro North, maybe)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Slides ... 546wt_1176

Thanks,

Charles
 #1010574  by glennk419

This train is westbound heading toward the Poughkeepsie Bridge. The date given appears correct given the Penn Central units in the consist. The hills in the distance are Mount Beacon (center of the picture) and the ridge that runs just south of I-84. This trackage is definitely between Hopewell Junction and the City of Poughkeepsie, probably between New Hackensack and LaGrange, and was all lifted between summer 1983 and spring 1984. I lived and worked in the area in 1983 and 1984 and traced and hiked the line extensively before and during its' destruction by Conrail. Up until that time, all of the infrastructure, including crossing and block signals, was still in place. Ironically, the signals at Hopewell Junction continued to be lit for several months after the rails had been pulled, protecting a bare ROW.