Railroad Forums 

• NH Freight Symbols

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #938197  by trainguy2024

I am looking for the train symbols for NH freight trains that went through New Haven and Bridgeport. Possibly trains that went to lower Bridgeport yard and Remington arms. Thanks
 #938221  by Noel Weaver

Mainline freight symbols which involved operations in Bridgeport include:
A Hartford
B Boston
D Waterbury
E Bridgeport
G Bay Ridge
H Harlem River or Oak Point
I State Line
N New Haven or Cedar Hill
NE New England
O Maybrook
R Danbury

Of course most operations in Bridgeport were mainline trains either east or west which stopped and worked there and not all of them stopped in Bridgeport.
This goes back to New Haven Railroad days, trains which worked at Bridgeport include: DN-3 (Waterbury to Cedar Hill via Bridgeport,HN-2, HN-6, NE-1, NE-2, NG-1, NH-1, NH-3, NO-3 (Cedar Hill - Maybrook via Bridgeport), ON-6 (Maybrook - Cedar Hill via Bridgeport, NX-4 and NX-7 (Local freights out of Stamford ((NX-4)) and Bridgeport ((NX-7)). Note NE-1 and NE-2 operated between Bay Ridge and Cedar Hill.
Trains that operated on the mainline but did not stop at Bridgeport included: BG-1, BH-5, BH-7, HB-6, HB-8, M-7 (Worcester - Harlem River), NH-4, NG-3 and NG-5.
You can use the key letters above to figure out where these trains started and finished their runs.
The above is from April, 1957 although I adjusted a little bit here and there from my files. In earlier days symbols A, E, I and R were also involved in operations in Brideport. Most operations took place in the yard at East Bridgeport although there were yard crews based in the Lower Yard at least in 1957 and into the 60's as well. They did the work in the Lower Yard as well as the sidings west of there off tracks 3 and 4, any station switching that was needed and the work in North Bridgeport. East Bridgeport had sidings in the area, the Seaview Avenue track, pick up and drop cars cars from Waterbury and other stuff. NO-3 and ON-6 worked East Bridgeport - Maybrook and did a lot of work along the Maybrook Line between East Bridgeport and Maybrook. There were also occasional extras in and out of Bridgeport, coal for UI in the Lower Yard among others. There were also occasional extras to and from either Waterbury or Hartford via Waterbury.
Answering this one required a fair amount of work, hope it helps answer the question. This is a far cry from what is left in Bridgeport in 2011.
Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #938241  by trainguy2024

Thanks, I am modeling the New Haven RR with Jenkins Curve, Lower Bridgeport Yard, Remington Arms etc..... I wanted some actual freight symbols for operation purposes. Thanks again for the info.