Railroad Forums 

• Next Stop: Georgetown

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1580782  by scratchyX1

davinp wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:30 am They are not even considering expanding the Blue line south of Franconia/Springfield.
Many VRE riders connect to Metro at the Franconia/Springfield station.
VRE does not all day long like Metro does, but they have a plan to expand service.
It would be convenient if Metro went to Woodbridge because traffic is heavy on I-95 and Route 1.
After all, the HOV lanes were expanded south of Franconia-Springfield and in Maryland, Metro goes past the beltway
Vre needs to get DMU to run increased service, from pot yards to Fredericksburg.
 #1580816  by STrRedWolf

To the original point: It's out of scope. The scope is redirecting the Blue off the Orange/Silver and increasing capacity that way.

That said, I can see WMATA going down to Woodbridge... and of similar length out to Bowie and Laurel. Never to BWI, though -- there's already service to that from DC. VRE would require negotiations with CSX (who own the track) for more slots... which will require more track, most likely.
 #1580862  by Sand Box John

STrRedWolf
To the original point: It's out of scope. The scope is redirecting the Blue off the Orange/Silver and increasing capacity that way.

That said, I can see WMATA going down to Woodbridge... and of similar length out to Bowie and Laurel. Never to BWI, though -- there's already service to that from DC. VRE would require negotiations with CSX (who own the track) for more slots... which will require more track, most likely.

The primary reason why the Greenbelt and New Carrollton options were less favoured then the loop is because the east ends of the Blue, Orange and Yellow lines generate less boardings then the west ends. Commercial and residential density is less on the east side then it is in Virginia.
 #1582289  by TheOneKEA

Sand Box John wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:21 am In my opinion much of the Blue line loop north of the Anacostia River is redundant.

I believe the cheapest option is not among the any of the options in the study.

I think the M Street subway should connect to the Blue and Orange lines east of D&G Junction.

I still think that extending the M Street Subway to the existing D&G Junction and building the proposed expansion of the junction shown above is the best way to expand cross-District capacity and improve connections to Union Station.