Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #275042  by Engineer James

Well, as you all know it is now time to start planning my layout, and I have decided to go Chessie System. However, 1 question.....

Did CS ever operate around a Horseshoe Curve?? Like sandpatch?
Where Can I find locomotive Rosters?
Did CS ever leave a few locos in the STEALTH paint scheme?

#275045  by Otto Vondrak

Well, as you all know it is now time to start planning my layout, and I have decided to go Chessie System. However, 1 question.....
I see three questions, but whatev. We missed you.
Did CS ever operate around a Horseshoe Curve?? Like sandpatch?
Yes Chessie System ran over Sandpatch Grade. Check out a Chessie or B&O or CSX map for the exact route, and you may want to consult topo maps of that area. The route had many curves, none laid out like Horseshoe Curve, though.
Where Can I find locomotive Rosters?
In books or on the Internet. What did your search turn up?
Did CS ever leave a few locos in the STEALTH paint scheme?
Chessie System had one paint scheme, the yellow. You must be thinking of the successor, CSX.

#275104  by mc367

The route had many curves, none laid out like Horseshoe Curve, though.
Not necessarily, the curve at Mance, PA on the Sand Patch Grade is a Horseshoe. If you go to railpictures.net and do a search you should find an aerial shot of it. Allot of cool angles for photography on that line. A year or so back Model Railroader had a track plan for the Sand Patch Grade.

If your looking for modeling ideas and info on Chessie check out this site http://www.trainweb.org/chessie/ You'll find a ton of great stuff.

-Justin

#275141  by Otto Vondrak

You know, I was thinking of Mance, but I dont think James had that in mind. I think he was thinking of something just like PRR's Horseshoe Curve.

#275185  by mc367

Got ya.

James, your going to need allot of space if your going to model a mainline like Sand Patch (If your planning on that). You may want to consider modeling something a bit smaller, maybe one of the old Western Maryland branches in northern West Virginia. Some neat opportunities with coal pockets and such as well as some great switching possibilities.

Just a suggestion, remember its all about enjoying your hobby

-Justin

#276469  by Engineer James

Now, I have an 11' 3"x 11' 4" room the curve was gonna go in. There was going to be a 22" radius curve on the end (To Staging Yard "B") then the line was gonna go around the curve then continue, go throught 3 small towns and then go into a major city. (then hit another 22", and disappear into tracks for Staging area "A" and duckunder to "Staging B")

A branch would work, however, i need it to be moderate to high traffic, not main line, but a little slower, coal drags, you know, typical 80's trains.

Also, was thinkihng since I have come into a little money, maybe buy the BLI "Chessie Steam Special" #2101.

#276722  by mc367

Yeah, to get the entire feel for a main line railroad you need a TON of space. With something like a branchline you'll be able to expand and go 'in-depth' so to speak.

As I mentioned, Northern West Virginia has allot of coal branches that where operated by Chessie system. Check this site out on the former Western Maryland Thomas Sub http://www.wvrail.railfan.net/thomas_sub.html - There is allot of things that can be modeled, especially the terminal at Elkins. You can see in the WM shots that some big-coal trains ran in the area. Prototypically, most trains would be coal, but a road fright could be thrown in for good measure.

Good luck

-Justin
 #278205  by jmonner

If I remember correctly, in the last couple of years (2005?) Model Railroader did a feature of an HO Sand Patch model. I want to say the room was similar in size to yours. It was two levels with a helix to get the grade and distance.

#278585  by Engineer James

Anyone got the article? if so, scan me a copy, and e-mail me. Well, The page actually looks pretty good. Thanks.