Railroad Forums 

• New York State Roundhouses

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1019876  by KenK

I found an old map of the "Hydraulic Area" of Buffalo east of the old Exchange Street Station. The map shows one turntable and a roundhouse and a second turntable with a rectangular bldg with tracks from the turntable. The location is just east of the NYC "Compromise" line to the west.

I would have attached the file but it is a .DOC file that is not accepted.

Ken K
 #1158948  by jimmyfloyd

I believe the turntable is now gone at the DL&W yard. Pieces of it, along with some Budd Passenger car trucks (I think) can be found at the local scrap yard, Gary's U-Pul-It in their Large Scrap Section behind the self storage building. The 4 sets of rollers, and the cut parts of the Bridge at in a large pile. I have pictures someplace. I believe it is the turn table from there.

DL&W - (RH+TT) - East Binghamton (Conklin) yard, pit, bridge and roundhouse all intact. abandoned. 42.096565 -75.853332

The Property itself that the Roundhouse and turntable pit are on are actually not owned by the RR anymore. It was bought in 2010 for $140k, and sold on 1/12/2012 to an energy management company out of Mass for $544,100+ I believe. Not sure what the plan for it is, but I can see it being a valuable property if Gas drilling takes off in the state or even NE PA.

BCGIS.com for info. Found this:

Parcel ID: 161.12-1-30
Owner: Global Companies LLC
Address: 58 TERRACE DR, Conklin, NY 13903
Size: 50.71 acres
Property Type: Mine/Quarry
 #1161323  by lvrr325

If you ask them nice, they'll sell out of there for the outgoing scrap price, if anyone needs turntable rollers.... they don't grow on trees.
 #1207597  by BelDelRR

I was looking at the "Roundhouses of New York State" by Scot Lawrence, and I noticed something's missing. In Maybrook, New York, there's the ruins of what was once the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway's roundhouse. Its foundation can still be seen on Google Earth.
 #1207598  by BelDelRR

Also, the foundation of one of the two roundhouses that used to stand at the east end of Selkirk Yard in Selkirk, New York can still be seen on Google Earth. This may be false, but I heard the one that has no trace left at Selkirk was knocked down first in the early '50s. Then they got rid of the other one that can still be made out on Google Earth later (mid '60s ???).

oh and I just noticed the Maybrook RH is listed, but its listed under New Haven, which I believe is incorrect. I'm not sure though but I thought Maybrook RH was owned by the Lehigh and Hudson
 #1207613  by Noel Weaver

Maybrook, New York was a New Haven operation and they owned everything there. The Lehigh and Hudson River was the only other railroad that actually came in to Maybrook on their own track and not under trackage rights over the New Haven from Campbell Hall. The Lehigh and Hudson property ended at the switch where they entered the yard at Maybrook. All of the employees at the roundhouse and elsewhere in Maybrook were New Haven employees.
Noel Weaver
 #1207616  by Marty Feldner

Thank you, Noel. (At one time the L&HR had its own turntable at Maybrook- to avoid paying fees to the NH for use of their table- but it was on L&HR property, nowhere near the NH turntable and roundhouse.)
 #1208197  by Narrowgauger

BelDelRR wrote:I was looking at the "Roundhouses of New York State" by Scot Lawrence, and I noticed something's missing. In Maybrook, New York, there's the ruins of what was once the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway's roundhouse. Its foundation can still be seen on Google Earth.
I dont suppose that book lists anything about the roundhouse in Massena NY? What it was made of etc?
Thanks Ted
 #1208200  by scottychaos

Narrowgauger wrote:
BelDelRR wrote:I was looking at the "Roundhouses of New York State" by Scot Lawrence, and I noticed something's missing. In Maybrook, New York, there's the ruins of what was once the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway's roundhouse. Its foundation can still be seen on Google Earth.
I dont suppose that book lists anything about the roundhouse in Massena NY? What it was made of etc?
Thanks Ted
Ted, its not a book, its a website..
here is the page:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scotty ... undhouses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

haven't updated it in awhile! ;)
I have a few new items to add, I will try to get to it soon..
Scot
 #1208204  by scottychaos

There is a L&HR turntable pit on the list:

Lehigh & Hudson River RR - Greycourt - (TT only) - Pit still visable.

Greycourt is about 10 miles south of Maybrook..
is this the one you are referring to?

Scot