Railroad Forums 

• New York Cross Harbor

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#39532  by ElTrain

I've recently read that the New York Cross Harbor has received new funding, bought 2 new locos, settled litigation with NJ and NYC and now has plans to expand. Does anybody have more scoop? How and to whom do they expect to expand? Are there customers in mind?
 #39541  by whistler162

ElTrain wrote:I've recently read that the New York Cross Harbor has received new funding, bought 2 new locos, settled litigation with NJ and NYC and now has plans to expand. Does anybody have more scoop? How and to whom do they expect to expand? Are there customers in mind?
http://finance.lycos.com/qc/news/headli ... ls=BB:NYRR

Haven't followed New York Cross Harbor for a couple of years but Raging Bull still has a message board and news section that is current.

#40560  by Jayjay1213

I am amazed that nobody has posted that they are using two ex UP SW1500's on the NJ side, they are still in full UP paint and lettering.

Jason

#40602  by DogBert

whhhaaaaaaaaaaaat ?

Is the gray ex-SP BDDX switcher still on the brooklyn side?

I think I also read somewhere that they were locked out of the shop building in brooklyn - probably just a rumor - or is there any truth to it, and are there still an alco or two in the barn?

#41145  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Do they still have any Alco's on the property?

#41217  by Sir Ray

Otto Vondrak wrote:Is it possible to take photographs of the Greenville Yard?
-otto-
There might be a small window of opportunity - one area is at the end of Colony road, right next to the BMW transshipment center (this seems to be public land).
The second is iffier - they have built 2 new distribution buildings (one with an extremely steep siding to it) on Industrial road, which I am not sure are occupied yet. They had (as of last month) NOT posted any 'No Trespassing' signs yet, although I'm sure they eventually will (of course, if one building is eventually used as a public 'Self-Storage', it would be difficult for them to prove trespassing). In any case, this location is adjacent to the south side of the yards.
The third way would be via the North, using the road that accesses Tropicana (and also the yard itself, I believe) - I think this road is posted at it's end, and probably NOT a good photo site.
Maybe it's best to contact NYRR directory, but their site http://www.nyrr.com/ currently has only investor information and contacts

#42470  by ElTrain

Has there been any talk of the NY Cross Harbor and the New York and Atlantic merging? Would it make financial sense and business sense? i'm guessing that any transaction of this type would probably entail the NYAR buying the Cross Harbor.

#42569  by DogBert

maybe if cross harbor was for sale, but whoever is running it now seems pretty focused on building up the business. Maybe they'll try to sell after a few years when it is (hopefully) worth more.

#60333  by Lupo 10

When I was there in March I saw the U23B and that was it. Very interesting details. I think Greenville is a forgotten yard. Not many people realize it is accesible. I got some great pictures in March. I still want to get a photo of the Tropicanna switcher. Impossible to get to. I tried to beg and plead at the Tropicanna guard booth the last time but they weren't having any of it. Maybe next time I'll bring cookies :)

Sounds like a new trip is in order.