• New York & Lake Erie Railroad (NY&LE) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

• 203 posts
  by chrisnewhaven

Is the NY&LE currently active (freight traffic?) and if so what locomotive do they use? From the pictures it seems the whole railroad is abandoned, although Im sure thats not the case.
C.J.V.
  by Otto Vondrak

chrisnewhaven wrote:Is the NY&LE currently active (freight traffic?) and if so what locomotive do they use?
All points considered, I don't think the NYLE is ever sure, either...

-otto-
  by lvrr325

I postulated that the whole NY&LE might be better off operated by the WNY&P. If nothing else, it would take one more middleman out on the rates on shipping a carload out. A shortline interchanging to the class 1s through another shortline is not as desirable as a direct interchange.

Some attempts were made to buy the 5067 but they wanted too much money to sell it outright.
  by Matt Langworthy

There is a significant challenge with the WNYP operating the NYLE- the southern end of the NYLE at Waterboro is OOS and would need alot of rehab (read: $$$) to get it back in action. IMO it would make more sense for BSOR to operate the entire line, since they already have an active connection at Gowanda.

One more thing- it is not necessarily cost prohibitive for one shortline to act as bridge between a Class 1 and another shortline. We only need to look the relationship between the R&S and LA&L as evidence it can work under the right conditions.
  by lvrr325

I have to think that arrangement is protected somehow to prevent those sorts of problems, although it also seems to me the LA&L directly reaches CSX and doesn't even connect to the R&S so maybe you're thinking of something else.

I know the Ontario Central was at something of a disadvantage after Finger Lakes came about, which is what led eventually to Finger Lakes taking it over.

BSOR would also make sense to run the whole thing, it probably makes no real difference which end of the line cars are interchanged out of.
  by erie2937

NY&LE operates trackage owned by Cattaraugus County. BSOR operates trackage owned by Erie County. Neither company owns the track. Both are designated operators. So a combined operation would require action and cooperation between the two counties. NY&LE is out of service beyong Conewango. Former junction with Erie main at Waterboro no longer exists and hasn't since formation of Conrail which was more than a few years ago. HTG
  by BR&P

Regarding the point it may make sense for BSOR to operate the NY&LE, remember that at one point it was the opposite, NY&LE operated what is now the BSOR.

As for the LA&L and R&S, the LA&L actually operates right into the R&S Brooks Avenue yard.
  by joshuahouse

Perhaps what is needed in the case of the BSOR, N&LE is some sort of multi county agency that owns the rail lines that the two counties currently own in order to bring them under one operating company. Not today or or next week but whenever the contracts will be coming up for bid.
  by BR&P

How would you determine that "need"? Have either of the operating companies expressed a problem with the current arrangement? Are the customers dissatisfied? It may or may not make sense to do so, and interesting to speculate on, but presumably a detailed study would have to show some clear and specific benefits first.
  by Matt Langworthy

erie2937 wrote:NY&LE operates trackage owned by Cattaraugus County. BSOR operates trackage owned by Erie County. Neither company owns the track. Both are designated operators. So a combined operation would require action and cooperation between the two counties. NY&LE is out of service beyong Conewango. Former junction with Erie main at Waterboro no longer exists and hasn't since formation of Conrail which was more than a few years ago. HTG
Agreed regarding the respective counties involved. That being said, there have been occasions where two county industrial development agencies have worked together to hire a single operator for a section of track. The Ontario Midland is/was an example of that cooperation.

Are you sure the junction no longer exists at Waterboro? Bing maps still shows it as being in place, albeit choked with vegetation. As I said before, it would cost alot of money to rehab the junction (and the south end of the NYLE), which most county gov'ts can't spare these days. I think the status quo for NYLE will continue.

BR&P does raise a great point: does Robert Dingman or any of his customers want a change in the relationship between NYLE and BSOR? Without that push, all of this talk is moot.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.