Railroad Forums 

• New to the Railroad

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1067586  by BK1977

Hello everyone,
I am new to the railroad world. I have accepted the position of Freight Conductor for CSX in the North East region. I come from a Fire/Medic and Security background and am leaving my comfort zone completely for a total career change. I have been reading good and bad about all aspects of the job. I'm really trying to figure out from people who are already involved in this industry. I'm not looking for sugar coated answers or Bitter responses I'm simply looking for I hope will be factual truths about the job and equipment and if I need to purchase anything aside the " issued " equipment. I am open to all comments good and bad and also anything from spouses so I can prepare my spouse for what's to come after I come back from REDI. Thank you all in advance
 #1067596  by charlie6017

Off to the Employment Forum....you'll find a gazillion threads already there on CSX employment and lots of railroaders there to answer any questions.

Good luck!

Charlie
 #1067904  by COEN77

It's can be a difficult life that's up to the individual. In the begining with low seniority expect to work all the jobs no one wants. You'll get bumped around a lot to different jobs by people with more seniority. You'll most likely start out working an extra board called in to fill vacancies on regular assigments. If working a yard extra board that doesn't involve traveling a person will be home sometime during the day/night. Being on call on an extra board you could get home then have to report back in 8 hours. Working the road is being on call 365/24/7 once called one doesn't have a clue when they'll be back home. Anything on the railroad it's difficult to plan anything outside the railroad. Your wife will have to be both parents at times. You'll miss out on a lot of family activities, childrens school functions ect....a lot like a military wife.
 #1067912  by Gadfly

Coen77 pretty much summed it up. It is not 'sugercoated'. It is the way it is! If you are thinking you have fallen into easy street, an easy billet with lots of money, that is wrong. If you think you can "schmooze" your way into a cushy assignment---forget about it. It's about seniority! The money and benefits are wonderful; its what you have to give up, what your family has to forgo, what you have to endure for the next 30 years---THAT'S the catch. If you can "hack" it, I wish you the best. Some do, others can't. Some try it for awhile, then 'wash out' either thru firing or voluntarily--then wish they hadn't quit. When the railroad gets their "hooks" into you, they know they "GOTCHA". Is it a good LIVING? YES! Are the bennies good? YES! Is the retirement GOOD? YES!! ;) (I'm living it NOW) You will EARN every cent of it. Will it be worth it in the end? I think so.

Good luck.

GF
 #1067918  by BK1977

Thank you both for the enlietenment , I really am nervous but excited at the same time . I'm used to being low man and working my way up and am used to crazy hours an being pulled away from events in life. I am looking for a career not a job and think I found it. I thank you again for honesty.
 #1087809  by craigdebi

I am a 25 year plus railroad wife, having your husband on call 24/7 isn't nice. Even when he can hold seniority the job still has goofy hours. Life is daily, kids in school are daily, railroad life usually affords absolutely no schedule or if it has one it does not run via 8 to 5 daily with week ends off. I have reached the end of my rope, I can't take the schedule anymore, I can't seem to make my husband understand that he will be making a choice between his job or being married to me. I am tired of being an only parent, I am tired of spending every week end and evening alone with no one to talk to, I am lonely and want the father of my children home and involved in their day to day life. Divorces are high on the railroad due to 24/7 schedule not being home for birthdays, Christmas, Easter, or any other celebration your family takes place in. He isn't here to attend weddings, funerals, or school functions for his kids. As far as I am concerned the compensation isn't worth what it has cost us as a family, and the tole it has taken on our marriage. I am hanging in by a thread, if he does not figure out something different to do, its not going to be nice, its come down to me saying I won't do this anymore, and him saying he won't change jobs so we are at a fork in the road, sadly both of us will lose, so will our kids that are still at home. Good luck, but if you value your family find a different line of work and don't stress life the way working for a railroad will.
 #1088781  by matawanaberdeen

craigdebi wrote:I am a 25 year plus railroad wife, having your husband on call 24/7 isn't nice. Even when he can hold seniority the job still has goofy hours. Life is daily, kids in school are daily, railroad life usually affords absolutely no schedule or if it has one it does not run via 8 to 5 daily with week ends off. I have reached the end of my rope, I can't take the schedule anymore, I can't seem to make my husband understand that he will be making a choice between his job or being married to me. I am tired of being an only parent, I am tired of spending every week end and evening alone with no one to talk to, I am lonely and want the father of my children home and involved in their day to day life. Divorces are high on the railroad due to 24/7 schedule not being home for birthdays, Christmas, Easter, or any other celebration your family takes place in. He isn't here to attend weddings, funerals, or school functions for his kids. As far as I am concerned the compensation isn't worth what it has cost us as a family, and the tole it has taken on our marriage. I am hanging in by a thread, if he does not figure out something different to do, its not going to be nice, its come down to me saying I won't do this anymore, and him saying he won't change jobs so we are at a fork in the road, sadly both of us will lose, so will our kids that are still at home. Good luck, but if you value your family find a different line of work and don't stress life the way working for a railroad will.
Wow, sad story, I feel badly for all involved, wife, husband, and kids. I hope somehow things work out in that situation, but it sounds bad right now. Boy the RR life is tough.
 #1088788  by COEN77

craigdebi wrote:I am a 25 year plus railroad wife, having your husband on call 24/7 isn't nice. Even when he can hold seniority the job still has goofy hours. Life is daily, kids in school are daily, railroad life usually affords absolutely no schedule or if it has one it does not run via 8 to 5 daily with week ends off. I have reached the end of my rope, I can't take the schedule anymore, I can't seem to make my husband understand that he will be making a choice between his job or being married to me. I am tired of being an only parent, I am tired of spending every week end and evening alone with no one to talk to, I am lonely and want the father of my children home and involved in their day to day life. Divorces are high on the railroad due to 24/7 schedule not being home for birthdays, Christmas, Easter, or any other celebration your family takes place in. He isn't here to attend weddings, funerals, or school functions for his kids. As far as I am concerned the compensation isn't worth what it has cost us as a family, and the tole it has taken on our marriage. I am hanging in by a thread, if he does not figure out something different to do, its not going to be nice, its come down to me saying I won't do this anymore, and him saying he won't change jobs so we are at a fork in the road, sadly both of us will lose, so will our kids that are still at home. Good luck, but if you value your family find a different line of work and don't stress life the way working for a railroad will.
I've seen this hundreds of times usually not after 25 years of marraige. What is he suppose to do? Give up his carreer? Give up the retirement? Give up healthcare? Everything that has been sacrifice gone down the drain. I think mabey going to counciling might be your best bet to deal with your issues. Do you work outside the home? Take up a hobby? In 5 years or less he'll have 30 years (360 months) paid into RRB. It's a nice retirement with a spousal stipend. I'm one of those railroaders that never could get a wife to except it went through 2 divorces had to make that choice between the marraige and the railroad. The railroad always won in the end. We also sacrifice that's not a one way street. I hope you can work it out.
 #1088791  by AEM7AC920

To the new hire,good luck and you can always consider coming to commuter or Amtrak down the road if you want a somewhat better lifestyle! Freight is no joke, I sure couldn't do it. Where I work we get a ton of CSX guys jumping ship!
 #1088865  by Gadfly

Ma'am, I FEEL your pain. I LIVED it. My wife left after 13 years of marriage, and it was because of the railroad. Nothing hurt so bad as that. OTH, how does one just walk away from 65 days (accumulated) sick leave, 5 weeks vacation, 3 personal days and #2 on the seniority list. How does he abandon almost-free health insurance and all the other benefits to go to another job that may NEVER equal that of the railroad? And the pension and the company investment opportunities that are there? Like COEN77 said, you've only got 5 more years to pull for a potential pension of $3,000-$5,000(?) per month. Part of the pension comes to YOU as a railroad spouse. I KNOW what you are going thru--I DO. WE, fellow railroaders, have lived it. I can only ask you to hang on for 5 more years. if only for the kids' sake. Yes, he can't be there for the events in their lives. Divorce, despite what people say, leaves deep scars--scars the kids may not express, or may not be able to express. I saw those scars in my own daughter, particularly in her school work. Despite her high intelligence, she would NOT do her school work. It was because of her suffering thru divorce and being forcibly separated from her Daddy. Ours was not a confrontational divorce, and I was as involved in her life as I could be under the circumstances. Her Mom saw to that. It was, again, caused by the railroad and its intrinsic problems and difficulties. Still, it hurt her, and she could not help seeing the deep hurt that I was feeling, especially during that time.

I know its no comfort, but if you CAN hang on, I would advise you do to so. Five years is short compared to the 25 you have already invested. Unless your husband has some super education or other high skills, NOTHING outside the railroad will compare, not the pay, not the benefits. And if your husband is like me, you see, this stuff gets into the blood. Its a love-hate thing, but it gets hold of you and won't let go. Even if he walks away, if he is like me, he will miss it. I HATED the railroad when I was there, but I miss it. Even now, I sometimes "work" all night in dreams and wake up tired as if I were marked up! :) If I were required to walk away to satisfy my wife, like 1992, I couldn't! There's simply too much invested, too much to lose once the railroad gets its "hooks" into you (and they know it!). It's like a trap from which there is really no release. "Saint Peter, doncha call me, cuz I cain't go--I owe my soul to the Southern Railroad"! I hope you can stick it out!

GF
 #1088932  by dover

I am going to add my .02 I had a job once that put the same demand on my home life and family. The job had great pay and benefits but personal life always came second to the career. After a few years of being married to my High school sweetheart she said its the job or me. I chose her and quit. I never missed a day of work going right back to construction where I have always been right at home. I weathered the downturn of the economy with slim paychecks and made it through. Every day I think how much different things could be if I had made another choice and stayed with it. I come from a divorced family (I was about 14) so I know what that does to children and I guess that is what fueled my decision. For the past couple years I have been trying to get on as a track worker, and it would be a blessing if I could. A man gets a certain satisfaction from puting bread on the table where he has had to sacrifice more than most have. It seems to be why some people are cut out to be railroaders. You take him away from that and you won't have him anyway, you will kill his soul. I'd make the best of the next 5 years, even though it will be tough, there is light at the end of the your tunnel.
 #1089589  by Gadfly

dover wrote:
I am going to add my .02 I had a job once that put the same demand on my home life and family. The job had great pay and benefits but personal life always came second to the career. After a few years of being married to my High school sweetheart she said its the job or me. I chose her and quit. I never missed a day of work going right back to construction where I have always been right at home. I weathered the downturn of the economy with slim paychecks and made it through. Every day I think how much different things could be if I had made another choice and stayed with it. I come from a divorced family (I was about 14) so I know what that does to children and I guess that is what fueled my decision. For the past couple years I have been trying to get on as a track worker, and it would be a blessing if I could. A man gets a certain satisfaction from puting bread on the table where he has had to sacrifice more than most have. It seems to be why some people are cut out to be railroaders. You take him away from that and you won't have him anyway, you will kill his soul. I'd make the best of the next 5 years, even though it will be tough, there is light at the end of the your tunnel.

Yeah, but after investing 25 years. 5 will pass quickly. If the employee is within 5 years of 60/30, I can't see walking away. No denying the hardships of the railroad life, and those who can endure it DESERVE their retirement. They earned every scar, every penny. If the person is young and there's other opportunities, and you can't see the long pull ahead, then by all means, find something else. But after 25 years and retirement within one's grasp. Me, I wouldn't! JMHO.

GF
 #1089704  by Engineer Spike

I have been on the railroad for 15 years, have been married for 11, with a 5 year old boy. When I was in engineer training, I became close friends with one of the engineers I trained with. He and his wife are about the same age as my parents. Sometimes they would call me to help out with a household project, and then have me over for a home-cooked meal.

When I got serious with my wife, the engineer's wife pulled me aside and asked how my wife handled the railroad. Believe me, we have had our struggles. I have gotten cut off, set back, had to work out of a terminal 5 hrs. from home, collecting guarantee, since that sudden burst of traffic was going to come, but didn't materialize, etc. My wife grew up with the on call lifestyle. Her mother is a nurse, and gets called in for emergency surgeries.

My wife has to be both parents. I sometimes feel like a stranger in my own home. My wife and son have their own routine, which I am not there for. It hurts the railroader too.

There are times when we need a break. Another engineer whom I trained with had 3 teens, at that time. He missed his fair share of ball games, band concerts, etc., but he also made sacrifices. I do the same thing. If I have lots to catch up on, then I bid a local or yard job for a while. Even when I am on the road, I still try to spend time with my boy. His teacher has parent volunteers who come in to read to the class, or help out. I volunteered to do so if I am home. This is something the 9-5 dads could never do.

You and your husband have to sit down objectively-no fighting. Talk about budgeting your finances to see is a yard job will do for a while. Make plans to do things when he IS home. Take a day trip on the days he lays in.
 #1089710  by Freddy

I'd be interested to know what department and what railroad her husband works on. In this day and time with that amount of time I'd think he'd be pretty high up on the list for jobs or damn
close to it.