Railroad Forums 

• New spur in New Hyde Park

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #541739  by Nova55

Anyone got any details on the new spur under construction in NHP just west of where the three land locked CR boxcars are?

#541879  by jayrmli

Do you mean a new spur off the existing Chesler Plywood siding? Oh boy, always a fun switch there! :-D

Jay

#541979  by LRail

I know where you're talking about. It looks like they actually dug out the area for the track and laid the ties and rails in. Are you sure it's the beginnings of a new switch or just storage of some parts?
-Lee

#542019  by phantom

Stay tuned; under wraps/construction

#542119  by Nova55

I can sense the carnage already.

#542317  by hrfcarl

If I have the site correct, there is a large tank next to this new spur - is that the issue?

#542392  by Spartan Phalanx

Isn't there a propane dealer over there in N.H.P., located along the north side of the right of way? Is this the tank in question? A new propane customer for NYA?
 #542429  by joetrain59

That would be Conservative Gas, on Denton Ave(?), between Jericho tpke and LIRR. Used to be filled with backyard grillers getting 20lb tanks filled on Saturday morns. They were cheaper than most other places. Yeh, there was/is a large tank that was elevated, at the south end of their yard, close to tracks.
Joe

#542634  by freightguy

I think there was mention a few years back of someone maybe taking or getting rid of waste oil. It might of been antifreeze. It had something to do with that small tank farm East of New Hyde Park Rd. As usual with a new siding there was an issue with property encroachment.

Maybe the Phantom can elaborate more?
 #564544  by hrfcarl

Happened to look up from the newspaper and out the window this morning (08/07) as the trian passed this site. From this brief glance, this spur looks completed or close to it - can it now be told who will be using it and what for?
 #564622  by jayrmli

I think it was mentioned on another thread it would be a biodiesel customer. It should be fun. God Bless the crew assigned to switch them. That siding was always an adventure.

Jay
 #564647  by rb

Any idea where the fuel will be coming from, and how many cars they'll be receiving/week? I'm surprised there was no NIMBY battle over this...or was there?
 #564653  by jayrmli

NIMBY battles usually begin right around the time the shipper wants to start business. Most in the area probably don't know what's going on, and anyone looking at the area probably think it has something to do with trackwork planned in the area.

Jay
 #565397  by workextra

If this customer actually receives cars will their be previsions for a NHP secondary track when the 3rd track is installed.
I do have previsions in my plans, but as we know they are not official.
In my plans I decided to keep the shoofly track to the north at grade and through NHP it's street running operation, and ties back into the main east of the freight sidings. This way any freight that's there or could develop there could be served w/o interfering with LIRR operations.