Railroad Forums 

• New Signals At PCA in Northampton

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1414291  by whatelyrailfan

I'm curious as to why, after all these years, are there crossing lights at PCA? I first noticed them about a month ago, and can't figure out why now? Did PCA pay Pan Am to put them in?
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1414380  by EDFLD Bill

whatelyrailfan wrote:I'm curious as to why, after all these years, are there crossing lights at PCA? I first noticed them about a month ago, and can't figure out why now? Did PCA pay Pan Am to put them in?
Peace,
Jonathan
Ordered and paid for by MassDOT, who owns the Conn River. Installed by Pan Am. In service late last week.
 #1414383  by jaymac

Per Google, PCA is Packaging Corporation of America, 525 Mount Tom Road. Per GEarth, the PCA siding crosses Mount Tom Road, and Mount Tom Road is U.S. 5, so why there weren't crossing signals from before the start of the facility is -- like so much in life -- beyond me.
 #1414384  by EDFLD Bill

Rockingham Racer wrote:What's PCA?
Packaging Corporation of America. Their siding cuts across Route 5. Heavy car traffic through there. Also known as Tri-City.
 #1415580  by whatelyrailfan

EDFLD Bill wrote:
lexon wrote:I ride that area a lot. Have not seen freight cars there in quite some time.

Rich
That's because they are inside the building.....
Correct. If you're lucky, you MIGHT see a string of boxcars parked outside, but for the most part, you have to be there when PCA is being switched to really see anything.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1415645  by lexon

Ok. Never been back there. I use to see freight cars a lot outside at one time.
Might be two years ago I was riding my bicycle from the rail trail up to Hamp on Rt 5 and had to stop at the crossing for a freight.

About six years ago I picked up one of the Atlas HO sound locos that delivers to PAC.

Got to check out the rail trail tunnel at Hamp some time.

Rich
 #1415716  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Likely because that's one of the most dangerous crossings for conductors to flag ever.
Wow! Just took a look at the old crossing in Streetview. I can completely see how that would be the case. That really is one of the worst protected highway crossings I have ever seen. Even worse because the crossbucks, warning signs and roadway markings are very poorly placed.