• New signal???

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TAMR213

Hey everyone. I was out railfaning tonight, chaseing SA-33 from Browns, out into Dayton. While I was riding around Dayton, I noticed, further down the line from where the train stopped (when I say this, i mean closer to Monmouth Jct.), a new signal right next to the road crossing in Dayton. And when I mean new, I mean brandy new. I know there used to be an old signal closer to Monmoth Jct. but it was never on. This was the first time ive seen this signal, and it was on as well. Had a single Amber light on. Anyone know when and why it was installed?

by transit383

I was driving on Georges Road in South Brunswick (not the one in New Brunswick, same name but different road) and it crosses over the Dayton Branch (Amboy Secondary) at grade. This grade crossing seemed relatively new as well, and was equipped with gates, not a common occurrence on this line.

Additionally, the grade crossing at Old Matawan Road in East Brunswick was reconstructed with new protective crossing equipment, including supports for gates, but as of yet, no gates have been installed.

Maybe increased traffic on this line prompted Conrail to install these new devices?

by Notch 8

Not having seen the signal, and having my quals. run out, this is purely a guess. Conrail SAA has been systematically removing existing distant signals in dark (DCS) territorry in favor of a less maitenance Approach Restricting signal which is no more that a simple single amber color light signal with an "a" circular number plate below the signal head. This signal essentially is the same as an Approach signal in ABS territorry, indicating to proceed prepared to stop at next signal. However because this is used in non ABS applications, this signal does not convey track or block information. Take a closer look next time at the signal and look for the "a" number plate. BTW- Approach restricting is a non conforming signal existing solely in CR special instructions. It is not a NORAC signal.

by Jtgshu

thats the type of signal on the Southern Sec at the Patterson Ave (is it) Xing in Shrewsbury, isn't it?

What is the point of it though? To tell the crews that they are approaching signaled territory, and that there is a working and vaild signal coming up?

by TAMR213

I forgot to mention that the signal does feature the Circular A number plate. So whats the point of this signal? Does it protect Monmouth Jct.? But even so, shouldnt it then be red indicating stop? AFAIK, the trains hardly travel that far down anyway. Also, does anyone know when it was installed? Also, while chasing SA-33, at the crossing in front of the large factory in Spotswood, about 13 cars crossed the tracks while the lights were on. In fact, the last car almost got hit.

by Notch 8

Most likely the signal is just a visual reminder to prepare to stop a Midway Interlocking. Basically it protects the carrier more than anything else. In DCS territorry, all trains are required to be prepared to stop at every interlocking anyway, so in theory, any signals like this could dissapear and operation over the line would not change at all.
Yellow is the proper color for this signal because its indication is proceed prepared to stop at the next signal. Red (only) on a signal means to stop at that particular signal. Since this signal protects nothing (like a block) red is not necessary.
A seemingly meaningless as this signal may seem, in the middle of the night, after travelng back and forth on stick rail with a handful of cars, it is a wonderful alarm clock that makes you sit up (wake up) and pay very close attention to where you are and what is in front of you.

by Butlershops

Notch 8 wrote: BTW- Approach restricting is a non conforming signal existing solely in CR special instructions. It is not a NORAC signal.
Did they take it out of the 7th edition? It was rule 293c in the 6th edition.

Conrail was big on these signals. There is one on the Hudson Secondary at Hudson Junction governing northward moves to the the Southern Tier. There might be one on the Washington Secondary as well. I seem to recall one down by CP-Hatch.

by wolfboy8171981

The Signal was replaced/moved about a year ago. There was a Pennsy Position light signal that was always lit in the Approach position around MP 18. A new Aproach Restricting signal was placed at MP 17. Both signals were distant signals to Midway Int, and the Approach aspect was the only ones it could show

by Jtgshu

Its in the NORAC, 8th Edition, 2003.

293c. Approach Restricting: Proceed prepared to stop at the next signal. Trains exceeding Medium Speed (30 mph) must begin reduction to Medium Speed as soon as the engine passes the Approach Restricting signal.

NOTE: Does not convey block or track information

CR might have their own special instruction relating to the signal though, like is happening now with Stop and Proceed to Restrictive Proceed.

by Notch 8

Absolutely correct John. After I got to work this morning I looked in my grip and bingo, there it was right in the rule book. This is why it is not good to mix rules, beer, and football together at one time. (Was watching Monday night football while posting).

CP Hatch in Camden actually has had this signal used twice in different locations. Pre light rail, it was used on the (then) Bordentown Sec. for southbound movements. I belive it was located at the Pioneer switch.
Today this signal is used for CP Hatch on the new leg of the wye. Anyone taking a trip on the Atlantic City Line can spot it just south of Jersey next to the UGB for the River LINE.

by Butlershops

That is O.K. Beer, rules and football is O.K. As long as we are not mixing beer and railroading ....
Notch 8 wrote:Absolutely correct John. After I got to work this morning I looked in my grip and bingo, there it was right in the rule book. This is why it is not good to mix rules, beer, and football together at one time. (Was watching Monday night football while posting).

CP Hatch in Camden actually has had this signal used twice in different locations. Pre light rail, it was used on the (then) Bordentown Sec. for southbound movements. I belive it was located at the Pioneer switch.
Today this signal is used for CP Hatch on the new leg of the wye. Anyone taking a trip on the Atlantic City Line can spot it just south of Jersey next to the UGB for the River LINE.

by Metalrailz

There is a signal located in Piscatway always lit in the Approach position. I believe its the Reading line?? Correct me if I have my ROW's mixed up or incorrect. You can see the signal from New Brunswick Ave looking westbound.