Railroad Forums 

• New siding at Warwick??!!

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1208148  by jmchitvt

Finally getting caught up on back issues of PROGRESSIVE RAILROADING.

Item from April 2013 - Middletown & New Jersey Railroad LLC - "build a 35-car siding in Warwick, N.Y."

Having been away from Warwick for going on 50 years and living about 400 miles northeast of most of this list's contributors, I was wondering if there's nothing left from that wonderful, efficient, little yard, that something new has to be built. Also wonder if they'll fill it with covered hoppers like that we always see on the original MNJ looking down from 84??

Anyone care to shed some light on this subject?

Thank you.

Joseph in VT
 #1225841  by David

jbrady23 wrote:Hey there, I live in warwick and often spend my time in the old yard. recently a switch was pulled out, the only other sidetrack besides the track near Jones chemical. recently they fixed all the tracks up to warwick and installed heavy duty rail. a few track workers also repaired the Jones siding which is where the old coal and water tower, it was in very bad shape. The switch which they removed connected to a set of ancient rails which have since been removed along with switch. The rails were removed up to a certain point, about 1/4 of the track that was still there. The ground was then flattened along with brush being pushed back a good distance. about a year ago on that side track sat about 12 blue flatcars owned by Middltown & New jersey. whenever I inspected the cars the rails were so broken and useless that I believe whenever they tried to take it out it derailed. It would be amazing to see a yard pop up the original yard goes back very far about 10 tracks and signs are still visible as I walk through the woods, Ties, Rail, and even old infrastructure where water and coal used to be loaded. Ive walked where the old turntable was but is now gone and still many many signs of the old infrastructure of the old roundhouse. Ive picked up coal and Even a few tools and locks around where that area and am always finding some great old treasures. anyone who is interested Im there almost daily watching the local freight and Jones Chem old switcher moving around tank cars and will be glad to update at any time. Anyone who also goes back I have found inspection and weigh stations and many other cool Things, If anyone wants Info Ill gladly assist.
Jon
Hey Jon--can you get some pictures of the areas you are talking about?---Thanks!
 #1226805  by Paul Miller

just a heads up to Jon and anyone else exploring the old "Warwick Yards." Jones Chemical has pretty tight security around the perimeter of their property for obvious reasons since 911. You be pretty safe taking picks from the grounds of the HQ there, but if you venture even close to their property line, which isn't clearly delineated, you have the opportunity to possibly get arrested. I've walked most other places, but this is definitely a precautionary area. Don't wanna see any railfans getting in trouble. I know of a few who came close to getting arrested there in the past, they don't like photographers or railfans. I did get a pic of the siding there, not the best quality, try and post later
 #1227651  by David

Paul Miller wrote:just a heads up to Jon and anyone else exploring the old "Warwick Yards." Jones Chemical has pretty tight security around the perimeter of their property for obvious reasons since 911. You be pretty safe taking picks from the grounds of the HQ there, but if you venture even close to their property line, which isn't clearly delineated, you have the opportunity to possibly get arrested. I've walked most other places, but this is definitely a precautionary area. Don't wanna see any railfans getting in trouble. I know of a few who came close to getting arrested there in the past, they don't like photographers or railfans. I did get a pic of the siding there, not the best quality, try and post later

Thanks for that info--Paul.