Railroad Forums 

• New Short Line/Industrial RR in NYC?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#72857  by cjvrr

DogBert,

I tend to agree. Did you guys look at the fine print? They are talking about some type of "Robotic Railway System" which allows shippers on demand capability. They also mention some type of mass transit on demand commuting system. The fine print says a protoype of the "Robotic Railway System" is up and running in Hoboken, NJ?!!

This sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Chris

#72869  by Ken W2KB

Or a pilot "personal rapid transit" PRT system? Could be used for freight, much as automated systems within large warehouses, and for passengers with differing vehicle types. Economic? Probably not. But if the developer gets a grant, it doesn't care about economics. :wink:

#72879  by joshuahouse

PRT interests me, and i could see how an infrastructure like the High Line would work well for such a thing if there weren't plans for the structure, but there are. As far as I know, and I havn't been following PRT all that actively, the only prototype is in the Twin Cities area, unless there is still a prototype in MA at a Raython plant up there, but I think they have completely gotten out of that line of research.
Does anyone have any guess what they are talking about there with Hoboken? The only thing I can think of is if at some time in the past they wanted to automate PATH trains......

#72911  by cjvrr

From page 13 or 44 I quote;

Applicant has entered into a Joint Venture agreement with “Robotic Railway Systems” (“RPS”) who has begun testing designs and equipment for intermodal freight usage on the Highline, over the past several years, initially in both their parent companies test lads in Letonia, Ohio and manufacturing facilities in Clearwater, Fla. As of October 2002, a fully functioning $6.2 million beta test site has been operational in Hoboken, NJ closely emulating a “mini” Highline corridor environment. The automated freight handling system is now open to the public 24/7 and has performed over 145,000+ handling transactions over the past 24 months. To underscore the design reliability, the user friendly “self service” on demand system’s advanced design seamlessly maintained uninterrupted full operational capability during last years Aug. 14th catastrophic blackout that disrupted electrical power in 8 states (including NYC and Hoboken NJ) and Canada.

I tracked down RPS here is the intermodal freight handling facility in Hoboken;

http://www.roboticparking.com/articles/ultimate.htm

Its good for a laugh, I will keep my mouth shut and let others comment first.

Chris

#73122  by Sir Ray

Ah, the infamous Hoboken Parking Garage - I remember contraversy after contraversy concerning that.
For a while every other news story on nj.com/news was about that garage.
I guess they finally did get it working, and working well, after all...

#73363  by joshuahouse

Interesting system they have there, so they want to use the Highline as a several mile long parking garage for either cars or intermodal boxes?

"I am RoboPark, Identify your car or be destroyed."
 #73637  by bingdude

With all the conspiracy theories about the anti-stadium forces all being allied with Cablevision, maybe this is a new Cablevision service...

Optimum Rail?

:-D