Railroad Forums 

• New Schedules on NJT

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1349936  by jp1822

More one seat ride trains from Bay Head to NYC should exist, first of all. And then Amtrak should hire a Metro North train scheduler to re-do the whole NJCL schedule. I like it when Long Branch WAS just a stop before electrification. Now NJT has created four (if not more) series of trains on the NJCL, which is ridiculous, increases crew base costs (where an opportunity could exist to decrease), and under utilizes the equipment (et alone by maintaining two yard operations within 20 miles). With the dual modes - restore operations to what existed before electrification - only put the pans UP at Long Branch.

- South Amboy locals (Keep)
- Long Branch to Hoboken (Revert back to Bay Head to Hoboken)
- Long Branch to NYP (Revert back to Bay Head to NYP)
- Bay Head to NYP - one seat ride (Keep)
- Bay Head to Long Branch shuttles (Eliminate with above in place)

Bay Head main crew base and Yard operations for NJCL trains.

Learn how to run true express trains and locals - Bay Head to NYP/Hoboken.
 #1350085  by ThirdRail7

jp1822 wrote:More one seat ride trains from Bay Head to NYC should exist, first of all. And then Amtrak should hire a Metro North train scheduler to re-do the whole NJCL schedule. I like it when Long Branch WAS just a stop before electrification. Now NJT has created four (if not more) series of trains on the NJCL, which is ridiculous, increases crew base costs (where an opportunity could exist to decrease), and under utilizes the equipment (et alone by maintaining two yard operations within 20 miles). With the dual modes - restore operations to what existed before electrification - only put the pans UP at Long Branch.

You do realize that there isn't an endless supply of dual modes to support your plan, right? You also realize that neither the yard in Long Branch or Bay Head alone have enough capacity support the entire line by itself, right?

That is one of the main reasons why two yards would need to be maintained. This isn't the 1980s, when you had a major yard in South Amboy.
 #1350093  by jp1822

ThirdRail7 wrote:
jp1822 wrote:More one seat ride trains from Bay Head to NYC should exist, first of all. And then Amtrak should hire a Metro North train scheduler to re-do the whole NJCL schedule. I like it when Long Branch WAS just a stop before electrification. Now NJT has created four (if not more) series of trains on the NJCL, which is ridiculous, increases crew base costs (where an opportunity could exist to decrease), and under utilizes the equipment (et alone by maintaining two yard operations within 20 miles). With the dual modes - restore operations to what existed before electrification - only put the pans UP at Long Branch.

You do realize that there isn't an endless supply of dual modes to support your plan, right? You also realize that neither the yard in Long Branch or Bay Head alone have enough capacity support the entire line by itself, right?

That is one of the main reasons why two yards would need to be maintained. This isn't the 1980s, when you had a major yard in South Amboy.
I wouldn't change anything about South Amboy

I don't doubt Bay Head, but can't say I totally buy in. NJT's lack of vision for Bay Head yard and cutbacks there has been incomprehensible for many south of Long Branch. The Long Branch yard is inadequate for current operations. NJT should have kept Bay Head yard maintained knowing the temperature gauge of NIMBY's there. Once gone - forever gone now. Dual Modes and Diesels could be better utilized on NJCL. There's no reason to have EVERY train set on RVL outfitted with Dual modes. NJT LOVES to spend money on equipment - five more dual modes? The GG1's operated on a shoe string with NJT.....
 #1350098  by ThirdRail7

jp1822 wrote:
I wouldn't change anything about South Amboy

I don't doubt Bay Head, but can't say I totally buy in. NJT's lack of vision for Bay Head yard and cutbacks there has been incomprehensible for many south of Long Branch. The Long Branch yard is inadequate for current operations. NJT should have kept Bay Head yard maintained knowing the temperature gauge of NIMBY's there. Once gone - forever gone now. Dual Modes and Diesels could be better utilized on NJCL.
That's the point you're missing. In terms of train storage and capacity, Bay Head Yard is almost fully utilized these days. The only thing they're really missing is a fueling facility, necessitating a run to either Hoboken or Raritan at some point. The same goes for Long Branch. Their yard is full prior to morning start up. County Yard as well. Indeed, a few trains actually deadhead from NYP where there is overnight capacity to outlying points in their system. Long Branch basically replaced South Amboy, which admittedly had more capacity. However, when Long Branch was built, you still had Church Yard outside of Matawan, which held a few sets.

I do agree that NJT should have pushed harder to protect the fueling facility in Bay Head though. I also would like more express service on the NJCL. However, I recognize the operating limitations of this tiny line.
jp1822 wrote: There's no reason to have EVERY train set on RVL outfitted with Dual modes. NJT LOVES to spend money on equipment - five more dual modes? The GG1's operated on a shoe string with NJT.....

I'm not sure that every set has a dual mode these days.
 #1350435  by TrainPhotos

From my recollection, didn't bay head get some bad flooding during sandy? As a NJ taxpayer, I'd not like to see some new stuff put in there just to be flooded next time we have a big storm or hurricane. I don't ever ride that line or know many people that do, but it seems to be that some improvements could be made based on what I've read on here..
 #1350608  by ACeInTheHole

Mod Note- jp1822... Enough with the backseat railroading. Its not going to get you very far arguing with ThirdRail or our other railroaders whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and drop it.
 #1350779  by jamesinclair

ACeInTheHole wrote:Mod Note- jp1822... Enough with the backseat railroading. Its not going to get you very far arguing with ThirdRail or our other railroaders whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and drop it.
A discussion forum where discussion is not allowed?

What is the point then?
 #1354286  by nick11a

jamesinclair wrote:
ACeInTheHole wrote:Mod Note- jp1822... Enough with the backseat railroading. Its not going to get you very far arguing with ThirdRail or our other railroaders whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and drop it.
A discussion forum where discussion is not allowed?

What is the point then?
Chiming in. Obviously, non-employee rail fans are enthusiasts and many of them/us know a great deal. An issue does arise though because they don't have the same experience as a seasoned employee. Things do get dicey when people speak with a sense of authority when they actual have no authority outside of having an opinion opinion is wrong/misinformed/impractical. In other words, in this place of discussion, scrutiny is the norm.

My opinion (as a non-employee enthusiast): I'm just happy that there is still service to Bay Head. Running a commuter railroad to points far from the main hub (such as to Bay Head, Port Jervis, etc) is very expensive and hard to maintain in this day and age.
 #1354442  by SwingMan

I seem to remember someone incessantly doing that in the past in this very forum... Must have been my imagination!

jp1822 has some good points, but they don't quite fit in to the current railroading world. Most railroads try to keep things tight nowadays, especially commuter railroads. The fewer the better as far as cost from maintaining to the number of employees needed to operate things.
 #1354525  by CentralValleyRail

Per Point to Point Schedules it appears as if the Timetables will change on Nov 8th...

Did a search from SEC to R17 and the new train pops up in the point to point after this date but not before...
 #1354646  by philipmartin

CentralValleyRail wrote:Per Point to Point Schedules it appears as if the Timetables will change on Nov 8th...

Did a search from SEC to R17 and the new train pops up in the point to point after this date but not before...
That's the information ticket agents got this morning. New rail schedules, NJT system wide, Nov.8. I wonder if they are putting back the trains they recently knocked off without notifying the public first. I am not talking about the trains they had hearings on. There was some screaming about it at the last board meeting.
 #1354663  by srock1028

philipmartin wrote:
CentralValleyRail wrote:Per Point to Point Schedules it appears as if the Timetables will change on Nov 8th...

I wonder if they are putting back the trains they recently knocked off without notifying the public first. I am not talking about the trains they had hearings on. There was some screaming about it at the last board meeting.
Nope...
 #1354845  by ACeInTheHole

Had not yet matured appropriately SwingMan. The mature thing to do would be not to poke at someones past. Back to the topic.

The train in the 1:19 AM time slot out of New York Penn on the Morris and Essex still runs on Weekends but was eliminated on weekdays
 #1354937  by expresstrain

ACeInTheHole wrote:.

The train in the 1:19 AM time slot out of New York Penn on the Morris and Essex still runs on Weekends but was eliminated on weekdays
Does this mean it runs Friday and Saturday nights (or more accurately, early Saturday AM and early Sunday AM), or that it runs only after Saturday nights and after Sunday nights (Sun AM and Mon AM)?
 #1354970  by CentralValleyRail

New schedules are up! NJ Transit did the good ole 1 step forward 2 steps back... Train 49 which as previously mentioned makes a stops at Ramsey Route 17 at 3:20pm on it's way to Port Jervis. Guess what! The stop is to RECEIVE passengers only! Oh how comical.....