Railroad Forums 

• New refinery in Saint John

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#354385  by trainsinmaine

The Bangor Daily News reported this morning that Irving Oil is petitioning for environmental permits to build a new $7,000,000,000 oil refinery in Saint John that would supply northeastern U.S. markets with oil, diesel oil and petroleum coke.

I wonder to what extent this may boost the MM&A's and/or Pan Am's traffic.

#354532  by roberttosh

Am guessing that most of that Oil would move out by barge to places like Portland, Portsmouth, Boston, Providence, etc, etc. If Pan Am had better service, they may be be able to get traffic going to more inland areas. But then again, isn't there already a huge refinery at Saint John; and how much rail comes out of there?? Not much I know of..

#354573  by murray83

CN/NBSR have a haulage agreement out of Irving leasing its east side yard for 99 years from CN.Anything from both refinerys will be turned over to CN to Moncton NB onrute to Montreal/west.

The Irvings send everything out by CN after Iron Road/MMA gave shotty service.

Robert,The current refinery is shunted around 6 times a day 7 days a week.

#392049  by Dieter

If Irving gets that refinary, you can look for a PIPELINE in the cards.

D/

#392531  by murray83

Already in the cards my friend lol,plus expanding the tracks from the industrial park along side the "new road" Irving paid for to access the new facility.

Residents wondered why the right of way was so wide hehe guess they don't know what going under the tracks just yet :wink:

Ohhh shhhh I wasn't supposed to admit that in public just yet.........certain eyes may be roaming the web.........