Railroad Forums 

• New plan for Buffalo Central Terminal redevelopment

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1359807  by terminalfanatic

Interesting article. Hope something may actually come of this.
A Canadian developer wants to redevelop Buffalo Central Terminal into housing and other uses. Now it remains to be seen if a deal can be struck. “It’s the most optimistic we have been about reactivating the building,” said Paul Lang, vice chairman of the Central Terminal Restoration Corp., the not-for-profit that owns the complex. Lang would not identify the developer, but said a six-month letter of intent was signed in November to redevelop the Art Deco marvel and East Side icon. The same company signed a similar letter a few years ago and nothing came of it, Lang said, but now it is developing a new plan.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... l-20151201

Probable Central Terminal Developer Failed in the Falls

Harry Stinson is the probable real-estate developer with interest in purchasing the long-shuttered East Side icon. This week, the Buffalo News reported that a Canadian developer had designs to convert the structure into housing and multiple other uses. Central Terminal Restoration Corporation vice president, Paul Lang, refused to identify the developer, as is often the case when sensitive negotiations are underway. But a YouTube video from last July reveals that the man behind the proposal is most likely Harry Stinson.

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/120 ... iled-falls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1359962  by Otto Vondrak

Not to poop on the parade, as I hope a reliable development partner is found soon, I thought this article was more telling of the issues surrounding Central Terminal. I personally have not had much faith in the organization since they hired the full-time paid executive director. This article, while somewhat biased (I can't tell who they are trying to lay blame on), describes a pretty clear picture of what I imagined was going on. It also explains the odd silence in the last two years and the sudden move away from public events.
Last year, six directors – more than a third of the board – left. Four resigned in the space of two days in June, including executive director Marilyn Rodgers, the only paid employee. This story is based on interviews with seven current and former CTRC board members, minutes of board meetings, grant applications, financial documents and organizational reports, as well as more than 400 internal emails given to Investigative Post. “There are certainly opportunities that we’ve missed,” said Paul Lang, CTRC spokesperson and board member.
http://www.investigativepost.org/2015/0 ... rd-delays/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1360151  by BR&P

RailKevin wrote: I'll believe it when I see it. :P
It's the obvious way. It would take a year to take it down piece by piece, and for what? Buildings have been taken down with explosives with FAR less space around them. As the deterioration continues, there will come a time when the structure is determined to be a hazard to public safety and they will get rid of it. Sad to see, but unless someone with cubic dollars decides to spend a fortune on it, the future of the place seems obvious.
 #1360258  by lvrr325

> the issues surrounding Central Terminal

Well, that's probably the most PC way to describe the situation. I'm in Buffalo maybe three times a year and even I've heard plenty of tales of what that neighborhood is like.

IMHO if you want to redevelop the building, start by buying eveything in all directions for like 10 blocks and bulldoze it flat.
 #1360269  by Matt Langworthy

I went to BCT last July and I can tell you firsthand that neighborhood is a craphole. While other parts of Buffalo have been revitalized (most notably the waterfront), the area around BCT has not. As I've said before, a good friend from Buffalo recoiled in fear when I told her I went to BCT. Since the majority of Buffalo area residents don't like the neighborhood, revitalizing BCT is fruitless.
 #1360351  by Noel Weaver

The very first time I was ever in Buffalo way back in 1958 with a good friend we were both warned about the dangers around the Central Terminal. It is too bad such a decent and historic building is in such a lousy location. As much as I like the building I still would not want any of tax dollars to be spent on it.
Noel Weaver
 #1360432  by Otto Vondrak

Noel Weaver wrote:The very first time I was ever in Buffalo way back in 1958 with a good friend we were both warned about the dangers around the Central Terminal. It is too bad such a decent and historic building is in such a lousy location. As much as I like the building I still would not want any of tax dollars to be spent on it.
Noel Weaver
Noel, that's not fair, you never want tax dollars spent on anything I like :-)

-otto-
 #1360433  by Otto Vondrak

Matt Langworthy wrote:I went to BCT last July and I can tell you firsthand that neighborhood is a craphole.
Is that your expert opinion?
While other parts of Buffalo have been revitalized (most notably the waterfront), the area around BCT has not.
counterpoint: Waterfront was a craphole until they spent money on it.
As I've said before, a good friend from Buffalo recoiled in fear when I told her I went to BCT. Since the majority of Buffalo area residents don't like the neighborhood, revitalizing BCT is fruitless.
As we all know, Matt, neighborhoods can NEVER change, and your friends are ALWAYS right. Please tell me about this MAJORITY you have spoken to and polled for their opinion? :-)

I didn't realize that so many people were against a developer coming in to rebuild BCT so it would be used once again. That is the mission of the CRTC, anyway. No one here wants to see BCT saved?

-otto-