Railroad Forums 

• New passenger and freight locomotives for Nigeria

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#673043  by MEC407

GE Transportation, a business of General Electric Co., has announced it agreed to deliver 25 new passenger and freight locomotives to Nigeria next year.
Read more at: http://www.cnbc.com/id/30806602
 #673758  by CN Sparky

I hope they didn't get the same email I did...
GE Transportation, based in Erie, Pa., said Friday it signed a letter of intent with the Nigerian Federal Ministry. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
I get offers from Nigeria all the time... millions of dollars... ;)
 #673929  by MEC407

I was thinking the same thing. :wink:
 #987847  by MEC407

Looks like GE is going to start building locomotives in Nigeria as well:
Codewit News wrote:Nigeria is set to become a hub of railway services in the West African region as a United States company, General Electric​, has indicated an interest in setting up a locomotive manufacturing firm in Lagos.
Okhiria said the American locomotive manufacturer and the corporation were excited by the prospect of having a locomotive factory in Nigeria
He said, “They (GE) are ready to bring in the necessary workshop equipment to assemble locomotives in Nigeria, which will make the NRC workshop the hub of its West African market.
Read more at: http://www.codewit.com/africa/3791-gene ... -lagos-nrc
 #988026  by Allen Hazen

Building in Nigeria...
I'm adopting a wait and see attitude on this one. GE seems to have given itself an out: they will only do it if the prospe ts for sales to Nigerian railways AND other African countries look good.

The Nigerian Railway Corporation spokesperson is quoted as saying:
"Although he said the corporation might not achieve the required perfection at the beginning, he insisted that there were competent engineers and technicians at the NRC that could handle the task.
He said many other countries where railway technology had advanced started that way, adding that the NRC team should be allowed to make faulty starts until it got it right."

Which doesn't sound all that encouraging to me. South Africa, i think, has a much longer and better established industrial tradition.

---

"Building" is a matter of degree. GE has provided "kits" to a number of countries: just how complete the kits are and whether the builder has to supplement what's in the box with locally acquired parts, I suppose, may vary from case to case. GE has had longterm partnerships with some overseas builders" Goninans (now United Group) in Oz being the one I know best. Here GE has supplied engines and electrical stuff (so: maybe two-thirds of the locomotive by value), with the overseas builder doing the whole "locomotive mechanical portion": Australia has a highly developed mechanical engineering industry (they build their own automobiles, built airplaces as long ago as WW II...). The Chinese may now be at about the same stage as Goninans, though they make noises about wanting to build components as well.