• New or old customers that have returned

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

A thread to list those that have returned to service, new customers, or new interchanges activated on both PAR and PAR in recent history.

West to East:

Mechanicville, NY - intermodal yard - new
Eagle Bridge, NY - Battenkill interchange - reinstated
Hoosick Junction, NY - VRS interchange - reinstated
Plains Gas - Claremont, NH - returning/expanded customer
Holyoke, MA - Pioneer Valley interchange - reinstated
Hartford CT - Central New England interchange - reinstated
Eimskip intermodal - Plainville, CT - new customer
Millers Falls, MA - NECR interchange - reinstated

Can someone expand on the Ayer area? I know a lot of sidings have been built off of Track 11 in the yard (wallboard and recycling comes to mind) plus the lumber guy at the end of the Greenville who moves from Billerica.

Somerville/Boston, MA - Boston Paperboard - service reinstated
Winchester, MA - Tighe Warehouse - service reinstated
Billerica, MA - several new customers in Iron Horse Park

Maine?
  by mec 381

For Maine PAR has been getting more lumber from Maine Northern and, I believe, PAR has been giving them some grain. More LPG has been coming up here. Also PAR stole some business from the SLR, they are transloading plastic pellets at Rigby for Poland Springs.
  by newpylong

mec 381 wrote:For Maine PAR has been getting more lumber from Maine Northern and, I believe, PAR has been giving them some grain. More LPG has been coming up here. Also PAR stole some business from the SLR, they are transloading plastic pellets at Rigby for Poland Springs.
What about the old customer in the warehouse to the east of the yard that came back?
What about the LPG customer at the end of yard 8 in Portland?
Last edited by newpylong on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by BM6569

Turners Island was doing some business last year
  by CPF363

Did anything come of the new customer at Buskirk that was discussed last summer?
  by KSmitty

I don't know how new "new" means, but Allstates Asphalt in Bangor got a new siding sometime around 2010.
Last summer they also hauled a lot of ballast out of Lane's in Bangor.
As someone stated, the MNR traffic has also picked up quite noticably with the MM&A collapse. Its either MPG or Cavendish Agricultural (I think anyway) that is getting grain or feed in Presque Isle. Also out of Easton (MNR) is Huber Structured Wood, with their stuff appearing frequently. Of course all MNR traffic is subject to competition from MM&A/Fortress going forward. But Pan Am and Irving seem to have a good relationship and should have the market power to out bid Fortress.

To trend off topic here for just a bit Today SJWA (as reported from a friend in Bangor) also had 6 round would fiber loads. This traffic has been intermittent for years, and usually heads to Riley's. This was different, Riley's fiber usually travels on CN (or IC/BC/AC/WC...) bulkheads and these were a mix of EMRY and UNPX bulkheads. Whether this is new or just stuff for Riley's remains to be seen. But its an indication that Irving is interested in being a player in the fiber market in the SOM. Irving is gearing up to move 400 carloads of fiber out of Maine every week, half going to Woodland, and half going to Saint John. But there are also rumblings they would like to start marketing to Pan Am's mills. The problem (heres a shock) is turn around time on Pan Am. Which is why I wonder about the destination for this wood. Its the first I've seen of roundwood on Irving sourced cars. There is lots of business to be had in this market. Could really turn things around on the far east stretches of the system.
  by newpylong

CPF363 wrote:Did anything come of the new customer at Buskirk that was discussed last summer?
nope.
  by jaymac

To be repetitive but to get it onto this thread, the service to Mill 8/Newark America just east of MP-334.
Also, as had been earlier discussed, service has been reactivated to Maki at MP-343.
  by atholrail

There's also a cement company that now empties cars at the west end of the Plastic transfer yard in Fitchburg.
  by jaymac

Is the East Fitchburg cement transload a Lafarge annex or a different company?
  by gokeefe

newpylong wrote:Maine?
Other than Portland, ME - Maine Marine Terminal (Eimskip) - new/reinstated I am drawing a blank.

Based on recent reports of 70 car loads of steel at Rigby the only other one that comes to mind could be Bath, ME - Bath Iron Works - expanded customer.

All of the rest of the expansion in Maine seems to be dramatically expanded overhead volume and continued reliable production levels from the paper mills.
  by atholrail

Jaymac, I believe it's a different company. Lafarge gets the shorties, these cars are bigger.
  by B&M 1227

newpylong wrote:
CPF363 wrote:Did anything come of the new customer at Buskirk that was discussed last summer?
nope.
There had been a prettty constant stream of hoppers/gons moving in and out of Buskirk to remove a bunch of junk ties. They probably just fixed the point rails for those cars, and not a customer.
  by jaymac

atholrail-
Thanks!