Railroad Forums 

• New NS ad?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1267270  by 25Hz

Seems NS has a new ad out there. Though it was released few months ago, I just saw it for the first time just now.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_V_y2zYR4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you all think? I love it, brings a smile to my face. :)
 #1267606  by charding

Check my April 1 entry - we've had this ad in the DC area for a while - it is a terrific ad - done at Spencer Yard - just think how difficult it was to put this together - masterful - also using the singing style of Tex Beneke of the big band era…love it!! Everyone, enjoy.
 #1272803  by MEC407

Actually it was released a year ago, but I'm glad to hear they're still using it. It's a great ad!

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=148687
 #1273006  by charding

Totally agree. It's interesting on the use of this ad. NS has another ad that they used to play - but this ad has become SO popular that it is the only one now played by NS. We here in the Washington area also get to see ads for CSX - their ads pale in comparison the NS ad - by a lot. If an ad can be called a 'happy' ad, this NS ad certainly falls into that category…everyone, enjoy.
 #1278634  by charding

…commercial has been nominated for a CLIO…when was the last time a railroad won a CLIO? Never.
 #1278665  by scottychaos

that is a great ad! :)
a couple observations that only railfans and railroad employees would pick up on:

1. It seems many railroad TV ads only show one locomotive hauling every train..obviously that is intentional.
(one locomotive appears more efficient, less costly, and less polluting..)

2. Cool fictional yard at the end! with two mirror-image turntables and roundhouses..
that's an interesting and not obvious (to me) use of turntables and roundhouses..why would they include those?
perhaps appealing to what people think a railroad yard is supposed to look like?
In that case, I wonder why they didnt choose to showcase the F-units in the ad?
because lots of the general public still think of F-units when they think of trains..
(answering my own question) they probably wouldn't want to use the F-units because they dont haul freight..
and showing them with a business train would give a confusing "passenger train" image..which isnt the goal of the advertisement.

Scot
 #1278680  by MEC407

F-units would also portray an old-fashioned image of railroading, and railroads are constantly battling the stereotype that they're stuck in the past and no longer relevant in today's world. Using brand new locomotives helps convey the idea that NS is modern, high tech, state of the art.
 #1278874  by charding

The visuals on the commercial are really breath-taking. I actually nominated the NS commercial for a CLIO, but emailed NS and got this reply from Rhonda Broom, NS Manager Advertising:

Mr. Harding - thank you so much for your nice comments about our television
commercial. It was actually filmed in Atlanta, Ga., at our Inman Yard and
Austell Yard facilities. Our advertising agency, RP3, Bethesda, Md., had the
same idea as you, and they have also entered the commercial in CLIO, so keep
your fingers crossed for us! Thanks for taking the time to write to us.

Rhonda Broom
Manager Advertising
Norfolk Southern Corporation
3 Commercial Place
Norfolk, Va. 23510