Railroad Forums 

• New NJTransit Schedules Effective 9/7

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1519397  by Roadgeek Adam

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 pm The new residential development is probably one of the reasons why Avenel will have more trains stopping there than it has and even though it might add time for passengers starting from a station further down, it helps people who live in the northern part of Woodbridge.
That's the only reason Avenel is getting this upgrade. It's not like Avenel is a park & ride or a better option for walkup from locals. That new development, Station Village at Avenel, is probably the only reason it's getting the boost.
 #1519636  by EuroStar

A quick search reveals that the Station Village at Avenel has about 500 units (1 and 2 bedrooms). I am not sure of the numbers, but let's say that that is the equivalent of 800 adults. I could see maybe 200 of them being at least semi-regular commuters on the train. If the station has really added 150+ regular boardings per day, it probably deserves to be a full time station, no?
 #1519662  by EuroStar

CentralValleyRail wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:20 pm Not a single change to Main Bergen or Pascack Valley Line how typical.
There is some (not a lot!) hope that once NJT graduates the next three classes of engineers by next spring, the second Pascack Valley Express might resume as Metro-North pays for that train and demand seems to be there. Note also that the Raritan Valley did not get its direct trains back into Penn. It is possible, but I would not keep my hopes high that this could happen with the next schedule revision, which might also reverse the cuts to the Main/Bergen Lines.
 #1521427  by TDowling

Im still waiting on a late evening weekday eastbound from Port Jervis/Middletown to close the 7+hour gap between trains, although its not hard (for me at least) as it stands now to take ShortLine to the PABT or drive an extra 20 minutes to Suffern.

That probably wont happen until 2023 when the passing sidings and CH yard are built.
 #1521431  by njtmnrrbuff

Before any service expansions happen on NJT, the current issues need to be straightened out. Now for the Port Jervis Line reverse peak trains, it would be great for there to be a few reverse peak trains on that line, even if its to Middletown-Town of Walkill. Of course, the passing sidings and the new yard must be built. With more and more people moving to the Pt. Jervis Line service area, those passing sidings can't come soon enough as well as the yard.
 #1521522  by Ken W2KB

TDowling wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:11 pm Im still waiting on a late evening weekday eastbound from Port Jervis/Middletown to close the 7+hour gap between trains, although its not hard (for me at least) as it stands now to take ShortLine to the PABT or drive an extra 20 minutes to Suffern.

That probably wont happen until 2023 when the passing sidings and CH yard are built.
It's a 13 hour gap eastbound weekdays on the Raritan Valley line from High Bridge and no weekend service whatsoever.
 #1521540  by pumpers

Sort of reminds me of a play from my long ago school days, Waiting for Godot. As I (imperfectly) recall, it is more or less about two guys waiting for someone who in the end never shows up, but they have all sorts of discussions and meet interesting people while they wait.
 #1521579  by EuroStar

TDowling wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:11 pm That probably wont happen until 2023 when the passing sidings and CH yard are built.
I have not seen the MTA 2020-2024 capital plan. Are the passing sidings and the CH yard even funded?