Railroad Forums 

• New Morning Sun Book on Rochester Trains 1970-1980

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1364005  by the cowboy

The book will cover the area bounded on the east by Lyons and Geneva and extending westward to around Darien. There are chapters covering the Penn Central,Lehigh Valley, Erie Lackawanna, early Conrail (including the D&H), and B&O. A separate chapter is devoted to P&L Junction in Caledonia, which could get quite busy at times. There is a section on Winter (remember the Blizzard of '77?) as well as a chapter covering various miscellaneous subjects (shortlines, wrecks, steam operations, etc.) A number of detailed maps are also included. All locations called out in the text or photo captions are shown on at least one of the maps.
We have tried to include as many photos with as much variety as possible, so there should be something of interest for everyone. It isn't until you sit down and put together slides for a project such as this that you realize how much has vanished in the last forty years.
 #1364540  by BR&P

the cowboy wrote: Trains on that line in the 1970s were few and far between.
Actually there are some pics of Hojack action. I've seen a couple eBay slides of the EMD-engines RS3's on the CTA, including one on Waterport trestle. By the time Conrail got going that job only made one round trip a week so obviously it was harder to shoot than mainline action. And I have shots of the last train out there, taken over a couple days as they worked their way back eastward with a substantial train. Whitnor and Chem-Trol had quite a few tank cars they used for storage, and they made for an impressive train when they finally left. And I have pics of the CTA snowed in at Kent in 1977 (?), and the plow train with F7/GP35 power busting through 15 foot drifts at Walker to reach it.

On the east side the State Street job went as far as Sodus a couple times a week in the mid 70's and I actually have seen fewer pics of them in that time than on the west end - but they ARE out there. Does anybody know what happened to the photo collection of Ted Mix? Ted was an avid photographer of the east Hojack and he spent many a day chasing and shooting the train through Sea Breeze, Webster and on east. And I'm pretty sure there are pics of the last train between Charlotte and Webster - I just can't remember who took them.

The pics are out there, Conrail6467, you just have to do a little digging and searching. Good luck with it!
 #1364556  by Matt Langworthy

I've also seen pics of the Hojack's west end in the Niagara By Rail book series and Trackside Around Buffalo, so somebody was out there shooting it. As I recall, MP366 took some pics of the Hojack, although I'm not sure they're still online these days.
 #1364779  by TB Diamond

Photographed the Hojack to some extent:

May 13, 1974: Penn Central train OS-1 was followed from Oswego to Wolcott where the train turned around. It then became SO-2 which was followed as far as Red Creek. Overcast, windy day.

February 12, 1977: Snow plow work extra at Walker. Bucking drifts up to 15 feet deep. Overcast and cold.

November 9, 1977: ConRail train CTA was followed from the bridge over Oak Orchard River at Waterport to Barker. Began as a overcast day which gave way to full sun. A member of the crew related that it took the train four days to make the round trip from Charlotte to Model City.
 #1364785  by BR&P

TB Diamond wrote:
February 12, 1977: Snow plow work extra at Walker. Bucking drifts up to 15 feet deep. Overcast and cold.

November 9, 1977: ConRail train CTA was followed from the bridge over Oak Orchard River at Waterport to Barker. A member of the crew related that it took the train four days to make the round trip from Charlotte to Model City.
So you were at Walker that day too? I seem to recall Jim Crosby was there but had to leave. I rode the plow and somewhere I have 8mm movies of hitting those drifts at about 20 mph, getting stuck, yank it out, and do it again. Engineer was Mickey Centrone, Marty Jensen was a brakeman and I think but not sure Bob Lockhart was conductor.

You are correct, in the last months of the West Hojack the CTA took 4 days to make the round trip, working west on Tuesday and Wednesday, return Thursday and Friday (and Saturday if needed). Taxied out from Charlotte each morning (except Tuesday) and back home each evening except the final day. They had to carry a track inspector with them and thus required two taxis each time. $$$$$!
 #1364838  by Otto Vondrak

the cowboy wrote:The book will cover the area bounded on the east by Lyons and Geneva and extending westward to around Darien. There are chapters covering the Penn Central,Lehigh Valley, Erie Lackawanna, early Conrail (including the D&H), and B&O. A separate chapter is devoted to P&L Junction in Caledonia, which could get quite busy at times. There is a section on Winter (remember the Blizzard of '77?) as well as a chapter covering various miscellaneous subjects (shortlines, wrecks, steam operations, etc.) A number of detailed maps are also included. All locations called out in the text or photo captions are shown on at least one of the maps.
We have tried to include as many photos with as much variety as possible, so there should be something of interest for everyone. It isn't until you sit down and put together slides for a project such as this that you realize how much has vanished in the last forty years.
I'm looking forward to it!

-otto-
 #1364902  by Conrail6467

BR&P wrote:
the cowboy wrote: Trains on that line in the 1970s were few and far between.
Actually there are some pics of Hojack action. I've seen a couple eBay slides of the EMD-engines RS3's on the CTA, including one on Waterport trestle. By the time Conrail got going that job only made one round trip a week so obviously it was harder to shoot than mainline action. And I have shots of the last train out there, taken over a couple days as they worked their way back eastward with a substantial train. Whitnor and Chem-Trol had quite a few tank cars they used for storage, and they made for an impressive train when they finally left. And I have pics of the CTA snowed in at Kent in 1977 (?), and the plow train with F7/GP35 power busting through 15 foot drifts at Walker to reach it.

On the east side the State Street job went as far as Sodus a couple times a week in the mid 70's and I actually have seen fewer pics of them in that time than on the west end - but they ARE out there. Does anybody know what happened to the photo collection of Ted Mix? Ted was an avid photographer of the east Hojack and he spent many a day chasing and shooting the train through Sea Breeze, Webster and on east. And I'm pretty sure there are pics of the last train between Charlotte and Webster - I just can't remember who took them.

The pics are out there, Conrail6467, you just have to do a little digging and searching. Good luck with it!
I'd like to find his collection. I have been searching alot and have found little to no pictures on the East portion from Rock Beach to Ontario. I've began construction of my first Hojack layout module.