Railroad Forums 

• New Look for Adirondack Scenic 4243

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#21470  by O-6-O

Sun nite around 6:00 pm saw the 4243 Alco c-425 ex Mass Central in
Utica parked at the ADIR platform. She wearing a new paint job
Flat black roof and upper 1/3 of carbody over a med. green with a
yellow stripe between them. Sorry no pics. I don't know if I like it yet,
kind of have mixed feelings about it. It does however look better than
the black/orange scheme it used to wear. I assume it was done in the
Rome shop.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#22420  by Alcoman

Les,
In order to view the link, you have to be a member of the Yahoo Group.
While I am a member, there may be others who are not.

I am not crazy about the scheme in general. Too much black for one thing. Make the black band smaller.
A wider band of yellow would have been nice too. The shade of green is too dark too.

#22919  by rcbsd45

Here's a link to the pic at Railpictures.net. As not everyone will have access to the gvt yahoo group, this should help.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=63850

#23283  by Paul

I think it looks great! Stop your whinning, pull about $15,000 out of your pockets for paint, volunteer hours stripping the old paint off and putting the new on, then you can exorcise your right to bitch and moan. Just for that, I am going to paint an ex NYC E8 in PC blushing worm, and maybe just to really piss people off, paint the journal box covers red.

#23318  by O-6-O

Sorry Paul; we still have the 1st amendment here in NY. Chill huh.

STEAM ON

#23944  by Paul

I know the guys and gals of the Adirondack very well. Matter of fact even though I am way out here I keep in contact and hold all those good people very dear do me. As far as First Amendment rights, comes the responsability to those rights. To sit back and criticise work when you do not take part in the work process or fiduciary expenditures to expedite said work, then your complaint is lost to me. I stand by my statement. Come out, spend the fifteen thousand out of your pocket, work the weeks doing the prep work (for free of course), shoot the paint, and then you have EARNED the right to complain, how ever I doubt you would like it if some Monday morning expert who doesnt know a Tame wrench from a F knuckle hates the way your work looks. When you have hand lapped 244 heads, scraped greese and oil from a generator sump with a puty knife, changed brushes on the bottom side of a generator, humped batteies into a battery box, stuffed crator greese into gear pans, adjusted govenor control linkages, changed the inside brake shoes on a double drop equalizer truck, and everything else that comes with the teritory of locomotive maintenace, then and only then (in my eyes) will you have earned the right to bitch, gripe, moan, and groan about how something looks and runs. For what it's worth to you, I am trying to get a leave of absence from my employer so I can fly out (at my expence) to change an engine in one of the Flop 9s. I will PM you when I have the dates and you can assist me the "dialing in" prociedure. Bring you magnetic base dial indicator. :(

#24072  by O-6-O

Paul; I dunno FLop 9s sounds like criticism to me. Unless you want to buy
the ADIR a couple of locomotives don't rip the ones they have.
My comment on the paint is that I just don"t know if I like it. This
has no bearing on anyones right to paint them as the please.

So what if I don't like it Im not the one who matters. The money
not withstanding also has nothing to do with it. The quality of the paint
and the workmanship I'm sure is fine I simply am not sure that I like
it. Thats all. BTW I do have a mag base dial indicator,0-100-0 and would like to "dial in" with you on the 4243,8223 or the FLops if you like, sound
like an oppotunity to me.

STEAM ON

#24080  by Paul

FLop9 is how we (I am former Amtrak) reffered to the FL9s as, just as we reffered to the F40s as "Failure40's. Gallows humor from the trenches. I will PM you when (if)I get I get a release from the U.P. to come east and John gets the prep work done.

#24355  by charlie6017

Guys, keep it civil, please--I really don't want to kill the thread............
 #24536  by Cactus Jack

I think that realizing this locomotive was painted for tourist train excursion service must be factored in.....whether you like it or not I sure gets your attention. Much better than the funeral black 2064 !

I was able to run the 4243 last weekend. A good runner, and Norton has her innards so clean you could serve dinner in the engine or fan room !

She seemed a bit carboned up though, but nothing some good sustained higher throttle / full load operation would cure. She spit carbon and had a choky exhaust, tell-talls of not getting blown out.

Doug
Warren, PA
 #24537  by Cactus Jack

BTW....the 4243 is a C424, not a 425 !

GE 564 Main generator and a GE MG governor

#24653  by RS-3

So is the 4243 is service at Lake Placid? Or did I see a shot of her at Thendera? Is the 8223 back "on line" and in service? What's new or different for this season?

RS

#24742  by Alcoman

I caught her about 2 weeks ago in Thendara running to Otto Creek & Back.
 #25001  by tdstedman

In the photo link above, it looks like the numbers in the two number boards are two different "fonts." Is this true, or is it just the way they appear in the photo?

Thanks,
Tim