Railroad Forums 

• New Kato "Commuter" F40PHs in N scale, could HO be next?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1062193  by B44NYC

Hi everyone. Just announced by Kato on their website under "new releases"...

New Commuter-version F40PH locomotives with retooled bodies with over-cab A/C units and illuminated ditch lights
for VRE, Caltrain and Metrolink. No passenger cars announced yet (except for VRE).

Here's hoping that this a sign that a retooled HO version of the F40PH by Kato is on the horizon (with ditch lights) and matching passenger cars.
 #1062599  by mlrr

B44NYC wrote: Here's hoping that this a sign that a retooled HO version of the F40PH by Kato is on the horizon (with ditch lights) and matching passenger cars.
I hope so. KATO's response to my compliments no the N scale cars and request for HO Nippon Shayro cars in the same roadnames, although positive was personally greeted with cautious optimism as it could be interpreted as:

"we've considered applying your suggestion to the N scale stuff"

or

"we've considered applying your suggestion to compliment our existing HO passenger cars"
 #1062637  by B44NYC

I'm actually suprised that Kato hasn't done a new release or an update to their HO F40PH.

As mass marketed and popular as the F40PH is, I'm also surpirsed that no one considered updating their tooling and re-releasing these in HO with DCC & Sound.

At the very least, Kato should do a rerun with different roads (METRA, Metrolink, Amtrak Phase IV) and road numbers, since the tooling still exists.

I suspect the licensing fees must be very high, because I can't imagine no one would be interested in an updated F40PH!
 #1062821  by mlrr

They seem to always miss current "METRA" on the F40s. I don't know why that is, ESPECIALLY with the N scale NS cars. Perhaps there's a licensing conflict with Walthers (the only HO manufacturer to regularly produce the model in the current METRA livery) but that wouldn't be consistent with the MP36 METRA train set unless it exclusively pertains to the F40. Why they keep skipping METRA on the F40 confuses me to no end.

On the plus side, I'm sure N scale METROLINK and CalTran modelers will be pleased to have something else other than an F59 pull their bombardier bi-levels. KATO could also slap those schemes on their MP36s
 #1070177  by mlrr

Although the model appears to be based on the same basic tool to which claims about the hood being too short have been made, this should come as exciting news to modelers interested in Chicago area railroading (I say interested and not "living in" because model railroad interest isn't limited to one's geography although it does play a role; I never lived in Chicago and had an interest in this area of the country ever since I first visited).

We now have a more accurate representation of a METRA F40 (with all due respect to Walthers) AND this may (hopefully) pave the way for modern METRA Nippon Shayro Galelry cars in the near future.

For an accurate, modern compliment to the recently announced METRA F40 from KATO, please contact and request the Nippon Shayro Gallery cars in HO from them via their website!

Keep your fingers crossed folks!

http://www.katousa.com/HO/F40PH/index.html

Additional bitter-sweet news is they will be adding more Gallery Cars to their offerings but not NS Gallery Cars. Instead, more PS stuff but at least it in METRA colors which was a glaring omission from their previous run.

http://www.katousa.com/HO/Bilevel/index.html
 #1070981  by B44NYC

mlrr wrote:Although the model appears to be based on the same basic tool to which claims about the hood being too short have been made, this should come as exciting news to modelers interested in Chicago area railroading (I say interested and not "living in" because model railroad interest isn't limited to one's geography although it does play a role; I never lived in Chicago and had an interest in this area of the country ever since I first visited).

We now have a more accurate representation of a METRA F40 (with all due respect to Walthers) AND this may (hopefully) pave the way for modern METRA Nippon Shayro Galelry cars in the near future.

For an accurate, modern compliment to the recently announced METRA F40 from KATO, please contact and request the Nippon Shayro Gallery cars in HO from them via their website!

Keep your fingers crossed folks!

http://www.katousa.com/HO/F40PH/index.html

Additional bitter-sweet news is they will be adding more Gallery Cars to their offerings but not NS Gallery Cars. Instead, more PS stuff but at least it in METRA colors which was a glaring omission from their previous run.

http://www.katousa.com/HO/Bilevel/index.html

The Kato Metra F40PH looks nice. I hope they do a release in the "KOBO" version.

That was a big omission with Kato not during a release of the Pullman Bilevels in Metra colors but I suspect it had to be a licensing problem. Better late than never!

Those Kato bilevel cars should look nice behind a TLT Metra MP36PH

If Walthers newer version of the Pullman Bilevels (just announced this month for Rock Island, C&NW & SP) sell well, I suspect Walthers will do a new release of the Pullman or NS Bilevels, with a stainless finish.
 #1071096  by mlrr

B44NYC wrote:

The Kato Metra F40PH looks nice. I hope they do a release in the "KOBO" version.

That was a big omission with Kato not during a release of the Pullman Bilevels in Metra colors but I suspect it had to be a licensing problem. Better late than never!

If Walthers newer version of the Pullman Bilevels (just announced this month for Rock Island, C&NW & SP) sell well, I suspect Walthers will do a new release of the Pullman or NS Bilevels, with a stainless finish.
These are more like re-releases. Nothing new...

**Sidenote**
It's interesting how these prices have doubled since their initial release almost 10 years ago AND they don't necessarily require the metal plating. In fact, it's not even listed as a feature on these model as it should not be. I don't believe the prototypes were manufactured with stainless steel. They had more of a platinum mist finish. I like to think that I've been pretty fair about model railroad product prices and I think it's fair to call This one out. The only "improvements" are factory-installed grab irons. Perhaps the price increase and the resulting profit will cross-subsidize other product development (Like the NS cars :D). If that's the case, that is perfectly understandable.
**END**

Walthers did just about every road in their earlier runs. I'm even skeptical that they'll do the NS cars based on the performance of these cars. If anything I thought their sales of the METRA F40s (more modern and appropriate) would have influenced their decision to produce the NS cars.

Additionally NONE of the PS DD commuter cars are appropriate for the MP36. Although one or two would be found mixed in with a string of stainless steel cars, I can't recall if an MP36 EVER pulled a full compliment of PS DD Commuter cars with the smooth sides.

I'm hoping that Walthers is waiting for the MP36 to finally hit the market before announcing any plans to produce the NS cars. If not, KATO already has their F40 in METRA colors which would justify them producing NS cars in HO to compliment their own product which will be more prototypically accurate for METRA than anything produced prior.

I like to say that I like how the two manufacturers appear to be "talking" as there doesn't seem to be an overlap between the two in terms of offerings. It seems Walthers is letting KATO have "METRA" this go-around (for whatever that is worth). I hope this run works out for KATO, making enough of a justification for them to produce an HO NS car.

What would be a very nice compliment is if Walthers did the older Budd cars while KATO did the NS cars.

I think the key for manufacturers surviving isn't one beating the other but communicating and one not taking advantage of the other through that communication. I know of one in particular that did something like that and lost a bit of respect for them as a result.
 #1072562  by B44NYC

mlrr wrote:
B44NYC wrote:

These are more like re-releases. Nothing new...

**Sidenote**
It's interesting how these prices have doubled since their initial release almost 10 years ago AND they don't necessarily require the metal plating. In fact, it's not even listed as a feature on these model as it should not be. I don't believe the prototypes were manufactured with stainless steel. They had more of a platinum mist finish. I like to think that I've been pretty fair about model railroad product prices and I think it's fair to call This one out. The only "improvements" are factory-installed grab irons. Perhaps the price increase and the resulting profit will cross-subsidize other product development (Like the NS cars :D). If that's the case, that is perfectly understandable.
**END**

Walthers did just about every road in their earlier runs. I'm even skeptical that they'll do the NS cars based on the performance of these cars. If anything I thought their sales of the METRA F40s (more modern and appropriate) would have influenced their decision to produce the NS cars.

Additionally NONE of the PS DD commuter cars are appropriate for the MP36. Although one or two would be found mixed in with a string of stainless steel cars, I can't recall if an MP36 EVER pulled a full compliment of PS DD Commuter cars with the smooth sides.

I'm hoping that Walthers is waiting for the MP36 to finally hit the market before announcing any plans to produce the NS cars. If not, KATO already has their F40 in METRA colors which would justify them producing NS cars in HO to compliment their own product which will be more prototypically accurate for METRA than anything produced prior.

I like to say that I like how the two manufacturers appear to be "talking" as there doesn't seem to be an overlap between the two in terms of offerings. It seems Walthers is letting KATO have "METRA" this go-around (for whatever that is worth). I hope this run works out for KATO, making enough of a justification for them to produce an HO NS car.

What would be a very nice compliment is if Walthers did the older Budd cars while KATO did the NS cars.

I think the key for manufacturers surviving isn't one beating the other but communicating and one not taking advantage of the other through that communication. I know of one in particular that did something like that and lost a bit of respect for them as a result.

Hi Kyle,
According to Walthers' website, the PS DD cab cars will supposedly have a working headlight (no word on working tail lights) and for an extra $10 you can have interior lights installed from the factory.

Looking forward to the Kato Metra PS DD cars, only wish they came with road number decals versus having the road numbers screened on, for those of us that want to run a longer train.

I have the Kato Amtrak PS DD cars and they are some smooth runners compared to Walthers first run. After running the Walthers DD cars for a while, I sold them off after I had to order replacement trucks since the wheels would pop out.

I know the MP36 never pulled PS DD cars. Now unless someone is planning a release of the NS cars (or even the new Hyundai DD passenger cars), TLT MP36s will only have Athearn Bombardier cars available (Northstar, GO Transit, etc.)

I calculated recently that a new F40PH running with three of the PS DD cars, will be close to $300! And that is not calculating a DCC/sound! WOW!!

If your planning on purchasing any of Walthers new product, (Metroliner, retooled Amfleets, Budd Hi-Levels), this is a small fortune!!

Its really becoming a matter of affordable choice and bargain hunting if you want the new stuff. The days of running 4 or 5 trains on a layout is almost gone.

I
 #1072572  by Ken S.

I think Walthers went overboard with the recent Superliners. I got two of them at what was essentially a buy one get one free deal (both were 50% off MSRP at the place I got them from). I think they don't want to have any more repeats of that.
 #1072675  by B44NYC

I suspect that your right about making a lot of inventory. I also see the big price drop with the Superliners.

I also suspect they are going to retool the Superliners with factory built in lighting and proper window seals for a future release down the road.

Good luck finding the coaches as mostly what I see on sale are Superliner sleepers & diners.
 #1072679  by Ken S.

B44NYC wrote:I suspect that your right about making a lot of inventory. I also see the big price drop with the Superliners.

I also suspect they are going to retool the Superliners with factory built in lighting and proper window seals for a future release down the road.

Good luck finding the coaches as mostly what I see on sale are Superliner sleepers & diners.
I got the last Phase II Coach from modeltrainstuff. I have an older Dining Car in Phase II that I plan to use until I get a new Dining Car. I also got a Coach/Baggage from modeltrainstuff when I got the coach.

They might also be holding off on Phase III Hi-Level cars until that's done. Notice that Kato is offering their N Step-Up/Down car in Phase III.
 #1077596  by CircusFreakGRITZ

Getting back to the original topic, I emailed KATO USA about releasing the retooled HO scale F40 in the Amtrak colors and I received the following reply:

"I would expect that you won't have to wait very long for precisely this." :)

Also, their HO parts website (link) lists several F40PH parts out of stock but says they should be available by October 2012. This could potentially coincide with the re-release of the F40PH in Amtrak paint scheme, but only time will tell.
 #1078631  by Otto Vondrak

I took this photo of Kato's Metra F40 in HO scale at the National Train Show last month. These were the first production samples brought over direct from Japan with the Kato team. I was impressed! And the gallery cars were pretty sharp, too!

-otto-
Attachments:
Sample of KatoUSA Metra F40 in HO scale
Sample of KatoUSA Metra F40 in HO scale
metra-HO-f40.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
 #1078632  by Otto Vondrak

Here's a photo of the first sample of Kato's Metra gallery cars in HO scale.

-otto-
Attachments:
Metra gallery car in HO from Kato
Metra gallery car in HO from Kato
Kato_MetraGalleryCar_HO.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 4816 times