Railroad Forums 

• New Hours for South Orange

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1320747  by nick11a

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited title to make it more factual and concise.
 #1320780  by philipmartin

nick11a wrote:MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited title to make it more factual and concise.
Moderator takes word "homeless" out of title of a story about homeless people to make it more factual. Yea, that makes sense.
Original title: Attention homeless: new hours for South Orange station.
 #1320881  by philipmartin

If the article is correct, it means that Transit has been deliberatly using South Orange station as a homeless shelter, keeping it open twenty-four hours a day; and due to complaints from train riders, is now going to reverse that to some extent, by closing it three hours nightly, from 2am to 5am.
This is all a complete surprise to me. My station, Middletown, NJ, is open 4:45am to 2:30pm, weekdays, and train riders are the only people in it. It's in a residential area, far from the heart of town, so there are no homeless people, drunks, drug dealers, etc. any where near it.
I worked Morristown for sixteen years, and we had all of the above people there, but we didn't cater to them, and I managed to keep the population down, with the help of the police. When I went home at night, I lockd the station.
 #1320985  by loufah

I think getting the homeless into shelters instead of being unsupervised in the train station (which is only staffed with an agent during weekday mornings and afternoons) is the best thing for their safety, unless the town wants to put a police officer there. When I commuted via Summit awhile back, there were a couple of homeless people, but there was also frequent police presence there even overnight.