Railroad Forums 

• New Haven steam - 1955

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #719227  by Otto Vondrak

A great photo by Edward Ozog of NH 3020 at Providence roundhouse...
Although regular NH steam operation ended early in 1952, three J-1 2-8-2's (Schenectady 1916) remained until 1958 to provide steam to the Barber-Greene snow conveyor and melters. When I was old enough to bike the five miles to the Charles Street roundhouse 3020 was the only steamer left but she was in the house which was too dark for my camera. In 1954 she came out (after a shopping at Readville I think?) and I was able to get pictures as well as climb into her cab. I got this shot in 1955 - it can be dated by the black army diesel which was on loan because of the 1955 floods and can barely be seen in the background, I was fortunate to see 3020 the day she steamed for the last time to help clear the blizzard on March 20, 1956. The silver paint was applied more extensively than normal but it was common for cylinder and piston heads and check valves to be silver, and running boards white on NH steamers.
http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?pho ... 721975.jpg
 #719531  by chnhrr

According to Swanberg’s “New Haven Power”, a little T-4 0-6-0 oil burning steam loco was operational with switching or shunting duties till the spring of 1953 at of all places, the Van Nest electric shops and Oak Point in the Bronx. I don’t know if it also became a victim of the scrap monger’s torch like the rest of the NH locos, including the J-1s. Swanberg also mentions that J-1s were in the Van Nest area for the same snow melting purpose.

As for the steam loco pictured, it was beautiful and in great shape given its servitude.
 #719566  by Noel Weaver

chnhrr wrote:According to Swanberg’s “New Haven Power”, a little T-4 0-6-0 oil burning steam loco was operational with switching or shunting duties till the spring of 1953 at of all places, the Van Nest electric shops and Oak Point in the Bronx. I don’t know if it also became a victim of the scrap monger’s torch like the rest of the NH locos, including the J-1s. Swanberg also mentions that J-1s were in the Van Nest area for the same snow melting purpose.

As for the steam loco pictured, it was beautiful and in great shape given its servitude.
I never saw anything in the Swanberg book and I don't think any record exists of engine 3016 having traveled to Van Nest or
anywhere else west of New Haven for that matter. The snow melting equipment that the three steam locomotives were
use with were intended for use in the most important terminals and hence their use in Boston, Providence and New Haven.
Noel Weaver
 #719924  by chnhrr

Hi Noel

Go to page 211. The top picture shows a little puffer at Oak Point under the wires. The bottom picture shows it working in the Bronx, and that is definitely the Bronx with the catenary masts and bridges in the background. The caption mentions the three slumbering snow melters, but fails to mention their exact location(s). For people like me he should have mentioned their locations. One reading the caption could mistake that the J-1's were nearby. It appears that there were five remaining steamers at the time, with one serving its original intention.
 #720250  by Noel Weaver

chnhrr wrote:Hi Noel

Go to page 211. The top picture shows a little puffer at Oak Point under the wires. The bottom picture shows it working in the Bronx, and that is definitely the Bronx with the catenary masts and bridges in the background. The caption mentions the three slumbering snow melters, but fails to mention their exact location(s). For people like me he should have mentioned their locations. One reading the caption could mistake that the J-1's were nearby. It appears that there were five remaining steamers at the time, with one serving its original intention.
I am aware of the shop switcher at Van Nest remaining steam until 1953. The J-1's were a different story, they did not
venture west of New Haven during their snow melter years. The only breaks from that was when 3016 was used on a fan
trip in 1953 and again when 3016 was used for the movie in 1958 although this was under restricted conditions.
Noel Weaver