• New Haven Rail Yard, 1960's

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by MJRuef

New Haven has changed profoundly since the sixties. Few, if any of the industries served by the railroad then exist now. For those of us who grew up there and remember what was (both the industries and the railroad that served them), it is very sad. I grew up on the lower Canal at Webster St. (the first crossing north of the cut) and remember the many industries, especially the Winchester complex. I walked those tracks to my elementary school, and had many rides on the switchers that worked that neighborhod. From our school we watched the smokestacks at Winchesters, all of them had a large "W" painted near the top. Every year or so another one would stop smoking, until they were all extinguished. This is, of course, a familiar story to so many who grew up when things were actually made on a large scale in the Northeast, but whenever I read of that city and that time, I just get very nostalgic and sentimental. They say that "The World is Flat." New Haven sure got flattened.