Railroad Forums 

• New Haven on the NYC

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1282090  by chnhrr

Here is a photo of what appears to be a former NYC S-2 locomotive pulling three former New Haven ‘Washboard’ units during a fan trip in the 70’s. This led me to think about when the New Haven ran on the New York Central system. If a New Haven train broke down on the New York Central’s electrified zone, was it the New Haven’s responsibility to move the train off the line or did NYC locomotives/switchers assist in the moving process?
 #1282113  by Noel Weaver

A locomotive failure on a New Haven Railroad train running on New York Central trackage was the responsibility of the New Haven Railroad to provide relief power to get it moving again. Way more engine failures occurred on trains outbound from New York rather than trains inbound to New York so New York Central motors would not have been any help anyway. It wasn't until Metro-North days that a universal protect crew would be able to go anywhere on all three divisions to rescue a dead train.
Noel Weaver
 #1282126  by shlustig

I don't recall offhand the exact date of that fan trip, but I was assigned to ride it. GCT / NWP / GCT / CD / GCT with the NH MU's and the S-motor.

Jan Borges was the Engr. on the Harlem, and John Westhoff on the Hudson.

We had several run-by photo ops. One was at Crestwood. Stopped at the platform and unloaded, told Jan that on the run-through to clear the interlocking and then back in to reload. After unloading, the train backed away a good distance, came charging back, and stopped right on the platform. Jan got off and met me saying "I bet you're wondering why we stopped here when we were supposed to go right through". Explanation: "I blew the whistle so much that the air equalized!"
 #1282216  by Noel Weaver

I seem to remember that trip too but again I don't recall just when it happened. I suspect it might have been around 1970 or 1971.
Noel Weaver
 #1282617  by chnhrr

Thanks all

Noel, typically where were the relieving locomotives kept, New Rochelle?

Shlustig do you know which station is pictured? The seems to be a yard or siding in the background with some new M1 or M1A units at rest.
 #1282659  by Noel Weaver

My guess on the photo is Crestwood. As for emergency or relief power on the New Haven under normal circumstances they kept an emergency crew at 49th Street in GCT and power was available at 49th Street, New Haven and sometimes at Stamford but no emergency crews were stationed at either Stamford or New Haven again under normal circumstances.
Noel Weaver
 #1282666  by PC1100

Great picture! That's North White Plains facing north at the north end of the Track 1/Track 5 platform. The following photos are from nycsubway.org and it looks like they must be from the same trip. They're dated July 3, 1976.

North White Plains: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?77648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crestwood: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?77647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1282793  by chnhrr

Thanks again. This brings to mind another question. Was there a ‘Delay Clause’ between the two railroads? In other words, if a New Haven train broke down and the delay impacted the New York Central service, would the NYC be compensated for the potential loss? The reverse would be true if a New York Central train malfunctioned and caused delays for the New Haven service.