• New Haven GP9's on Waterbury Branch

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Ruzbasan

While checking photos of New Haven diesels on the Waterbury Branch I did not see any New Haven GP9's (DERS-4). I have not found any photos of New Haven GP9's on the Devon-Winsted, Waterbury-Watertown, or Waterbury-Plainville branches. I only came across a few photos of an occasional New Haven GP9 mued to other diesels on Maybrook freights passing thru Derby on the way to Cedar Hill.

Did the New Haven not use GP9's on the Naugatuck Line or out of Waterbury from 1950-1968?
  by TomNelligan

Ruzbasan wrote: Did the New Haven not use GP9's on the Naugatuck Line or out of Waterbury from 1950-1968?
Not often, but I wouldn't say "never" either. RS3s were the standard freight power on the Naugy through most of the 1960s (my memories of the line go back to about 1960) and anything else was fairly rare on road freights ND-2 and DN-1 and the Waterbury-based locals. However in the late 1960s, after the Penn Central takeover, GP9s began to show up in Waterbury much more often.
  by Statkowski

The preferred motive power for Waterbury was the venerable, versatile Alco RS-3. Three such units would arrive in Waterbury on symbol freight ND-2 from Cedar Hill. They would then be separated into individual units so that each could serve as motive power for local freights NX-15 (Waterbury to Naugatuck and return), NX-16 (Waterbury to Winsted and return) and NX-17 (Waterbury to Forestville and return). When those jobs were completed, the three units would again be married together and serve as motive power for symbol freight DN-1 going back to Cedar Hill.

The RS-3s were ideal for local switching, with excellent visibility fore and aft, and also worked well for road freight service. Their use permitted the higher-horsepower EMD GP-9s to be used elsewhere in the system. Plus, you could mix the rebuilt ones with the unrebuilt ones. Had to use the unrebuilt ones somewhere.