• New Haven Baldwin Westinghouse Electric Locos

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by jkrail

Greetings:
I am looking for a source for interior photos / drawings for NH # 071 or NH EF1 locos circa 1911.
I am most interested in the locos that were supplied to the B&M for the Hoosac Tunnel electric project of 1911 as they were close copies of the # 071.
I have searched the internet, been in contact with the folks from the University of Conn., and looked at many NH books
and I have not found much.
I am trying to build a 3" gauge model of a Hoosac Tunnel locomotive. I have many photos of the outsides but nothing of the inside workings of the cab or motor room.
What I really need is autotransformer and motor contactor etc. pictures.
Any info would be most helpful.
Thanks in advance.....

Jerry Kelley
  by fordhamroad

-Jerry, you might try Google web and book searches for electric locomotives , rr names etc in the 1906-1912 period. The hope would be to turn up as new illustrations in some engineering book or Electric Railway Journal or Railway Age Gazette for the items you are seeking.
-some of the Baldwin builders photos are at the Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum in Strasburg Pa. Perhaps there are interior shots in the collection. I don't recall seeing modern shots of the interiors, but someone at the NHRHTA forum might know of them. Good hunting.

Roger
  by chnhrr

Jerry

Here are two photos of EF-1 locomotive 076 circa 1911-12 that I found recently. The first photo shows the front end and the second shows the middle of the unit, “back in the day”. I don’t how different these interior shots would have looked prior to the scrapping of this unit. I’m assuming that the B&M electric locomotives were scrapped after diesel units were assigned to the line.

Photo one first.
  by fordhamroad

-nice pictures. Anyone have any recollections, first or second hand, about how it was to actually operate these? Were they better engines to work with than diesel switchers which replaced them?

Roger
  by chnhrr

What interest me are the three foot pedals. If these were for braking, why were three pedals used? It reminds me of a piano. Or is braking done by means of the throttles?
  by Noel Weaver

chnhrr wrote:What interest me are the three foot pedals. If these were for braking, why were three pedals used? It reminds me of a piano. Or is braking done by means of the throttles?
Sand, reverse sand and bell. I believe the bell was on the right, many years ago.
Noel Weaver
  by jkrail

Hello All:

Thank you for the information and your input. It has been most helpful.
I have learned quite a lot on my quest for information on this electric loco.
I have been told that there were a lot of records lost at the home office of the railroad sometime in the 191? due to a fire(?).
With all of that, I have realized that there is little on the interiors of these units.
My model is taking shape and is looking quite impressive, if I say so myself. I am over 250 hours into the project and I estimate that I have about a hundred hours left to go.
If anybody is interested in seeing my progress, there are two photos on the Nerail Photo Archive site under "Model Railroads" (see Jerry Kelley).
Thanks again.
Jerry