Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Railroad Revitalization Association (NHRRA)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#132674  by b&m 1566

Most of you may already know of this site http://www.nhrra.org/ or the association called New Hampshire Railroad Revitalization Association (NHRRA). I have to give it to them because there not dealing with an easy task, however something got me laughing a little bit when I read something on there website. They hope to have passenger service to Concord, NH by *2010.*
Our main aim - likely to bring most benefit to most people - is service between Boston and the communities of Nashua, Merrimack, Bedford (for Manchester Airport), Manchester, Hooksett and Concord, to be fully operational by 2010.
Though I strongly feel that this will happen, I can't see it happening so soon; maybe to Nashua by 2010, but not Concord. First you have to deal with Guilford, (which would be getting a free upgrade in there track), but its still Guilford. Along with everything else the money, construction, more cars for the MBTA fleet along with engines, etc., I just don't see it happening by 2010, maybe 2015 at the earliest. I don't think you have to worry about the NIMBY’s because they already have a train in their back yards, but something tells me they'll bark at something.

#133979  by NellsChoo

Hmmm... must read that when I get home! Think of all the people who live in NH and work in MA! A rail line between the two states is a GREAT, and obvious, idea!

#134084  by Steam

The last time we had passenger service to Concord, in the 1970s, it was really only beneficial to those GOING to Boston. It was set up so that 2 trains went to Boston from Concord in the early morning, returning late in the afternoon to bring those same people home. So automatically you eliminated anyone who wanted to go from Boston to Concord (or anyplace in between) and return the same day. To do that you would have had to stay overnight in Concord and left for Boston at the crack of dawn. It was programed to fail.

Hopefully if it EVER comes back, it will be set up such as the Downeaster with multiple trips in both directions all day.