Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1525539  by bm1838

As far as PTC goes, the 3823 has been equipped with PTC over the summer and its tested and functional. A PTC kit is on our shelf to be installed in the 3825. However Keolis initially never told Pan am and NHN that they would require cab signals on the Boston routes as well. The PTC that has been installed in all the Pan Am units, and the NHN 3823 does not have cab signals. Siemens who produces the PTC and a cab signal setup is currently testing a cab signal version that would be able to be added onto the current PTC system.

A plan is also in place to add PTC to the FURX 5509 as well to allow all 3 GP38-2s to operate in and out of Boston. Once Keolis puts PTC in effect the 1801 wont be able to lead into Boston, which is very rarely is needed to.

Cory F.
 #1525585  by b&m 1566

bm1838 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:14 pm However Keolis initially never told Pan am and NHN that they would require cab signals on the Boston routes as well.
That must have gone over like a fart in church.
 #1525868  by newpylong

gokeefe wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:08 pm Looking forward to the day when we don't have to worry about single track territory on the Freight Main Line in New Hampshire ...
That will never happen. Traffic levels do not warrant the expenditure. Longer double iron with higher MAS more likely.
 #1540196  by skyraider0609

NHN has been running very irregularly as of late. BSG must be on reduced orders for concrete with the pandemic I guess. Anyway, last Friday they passed through Somersworth heading south late morning with three empty steel cars. The 1801 was on the point. I hadn't seen the GP18 for a long time, so it was good to see the old gal again. They turned in Dover in about an hour and headed back north with steel and gas cars. A first for me after living here in Somersworth for nearly a year was seeing bay window caboose NHN100 on the end of the train. No idea why they had a buggy along. It was in great shape and had nice picture windows too.
 #1548933  by highrail

I was able to catch the Northbound job in Milton heading back to Ossipee today after they had switched out tanks at Rochester. Great crew, sharp looking units...both things say a lot about the quality of this operation!

Steve
Attachments:
NHN at Milton 0728208812.jpg
NHN at Milton 0728208812.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2577 times
 #1548948  by MEC407

Beautiful shot!