Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1443512  by MEC407

newpylong wrote:The D&H Alcos would have been the only possible GTI 6 packs pre 1987 correct?
I'm not 100% certain but I think the C628s and C630s were gone (or at least inoperable) by the time Guilford purchased D&H. I can't think of any that ever ran during Guilford. All of the pictures I've seen of them are from the late '70s or earlier. (They did of course run the D&H 4-axle Alcos.) I was thinking more along the lines of the D&H U33Cs which definitely ran during the Guilford era, the ex-Detroit Edison units (five SD40s and one U30C) and the ex-Illinois Terminal SD39s. The SD39s, SD40s and U30C came in '84.
 #1443518  by newpylong

My apologies. I meant the U33s not the Alcos.

FYI the SD39s came over a little later than the Detroit Edison units - August of '85. All of those pre-strike MEC lettered 6 packs totally escaped me thanks for the reminder.
 #1443531  by b&m 1566

When NHN took over the sand operations, wasn't the Conway Branch in deplorable condition to the point 6 axle units were not allowed?
 #1443546  by MEC407

newpylong wrote:...totally escaped me thanks for the reminder.
#NeverForget :wink:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4063757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2546276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=991671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=11709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gotta love these two; somebody had zero F's left to give when they were applying the Big G:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=250531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=4067285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1444279  by 690

MEC407 wrote:
newpylong wrote:The D&H Alcos would have been the only possible GTI 6 packs pre 1987 correct?
I'm not 100% certain but I think the C628s and C630s were gone (or at least inoperable) by the time Guilford purchased D&H. I can't think of any that ever ran during Guilford. All of the pictures I've seen of them are from the late '70s or earlier. (They did of course run the D&H 4-axle Alcos.) I was thinking more along the lines of the D&H U33Cs which definitely ran during the Guilford era, the ex-Detroit Edison units (five SD40s and one U30C) and the ex-Illinois Terminal SD39s. The SD39s, SD40s and U30C came in '84.
Most of the original D&H six axles (C628s, U30Cs, SD45s, and PA4s) were sold to Mexico in 1978, although the D&H didn't get much for them. The U33Cs were the only ones that were kept, and lasted into Guilford.
 #1461747  by Hux

From a Feb. 2 post in Pan-Am Portsmouth Branch thread
Dick H wrote:While on the subject of NH propane supplies, the NH Northcoast RR had
29 loads of LPG going north this AM. Over the last three weeks or so,
they have had a number of trains with between 15 and 23 cars of LPG.

In addition to the 29 LPG this AM, the northbound also had two loads of
steel and 22 empty gravel cars, making it one of the longest northbound
trains in recent memory.
Feb 3 post
gokeefe wrote:Long train, short railroad, mixed cargo ... Definitely sounds viable for a long time to come ...
Any idea where the steel is going?
Dick H wrote:Harris Corporation in Fryeburg Maine is the business that gets the steel.
The steel is unloaded in the area of the NHN engine house in Ossipee and
trucked to Fryeburg. The rail shipments are somewhat seasonal, with
many more cars arriving in Ossipee during the construction season,
with a downturn during the winter. More on the Harris Corp. here.
http://ahharris.com/our-products/fabric ... and-steel/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1469045  by Jonathan603

Hi,

Am hoping to catch some NHN action at Rollinsford. Does anyone know how often they currently operate? On Wikipedia it says:

NHN runs an average of two trains approximately five days a week: one southbound, and one northbound. The trains generally arrive at the pit in Ossipee around 11:00 AM and depart for the Pan Am interchange around 2:00 PM. "Shuttle" trains are run as needed to bring sand and gravel to the facility in Rochester. Once the train arrives in Dover, it assumes the Pan Am symbol DOBO (Dover to Boston) for the run to Boston. It returns as BODO (Boston to Dover) in the early morning. Until recently when they were replaced with a pair of EMD GP38-2s, the trains ran with several EMD GP9s.

Is that still current?
 #1469074  by Trinnau

Yes, the operation is pretty cyclical and largely driven by the need to traverse the MBTA commuter rail network to reach Boston to switch Boston Sand & Gravel which is right outside of North Station. Figure on NHN heading out of Dover for the pit at Ossipee sometime after 7-8am, and returning to Dover around 4-5pm during the week. Unless things have changed their crew used to come on-duty at 7am at Dover. There is some lease power up there now too.
 #1469102  by Dick H

Just to clarify, the NHN only runs south to Dover on Mondays and only runs north
from Dover on Fridays. They run round trips Dover/Ossipee on Tuesday through
Thursday. DOBO only leaves Dover for Boston on Monday through Thursday nights
and returns from Boston to Dover on Tuesday through Friday mornings. Beware of
any week containing a holiday as that can alter the schedule. I do not know if the
NHN will observe Patriot's day. That probably will depend on what the parent
company, Boston Sand and Gravel, does.

If you have a scanner, the NHN will talk on the PAR frequency when getting
permission to work and leave Dover in the morning and when approaching
Rollinsford in the afternoon. The NHN uses a digital radio frequency, when
talking to their own dispatcher and during switching operations. When they
first got their digital radios, supposedly the digital format was not able to be
picked up on digital scanners. With the upgrading of digital scanners in recent
years, I do not know if that is still the case or not,
 #1469491  by jaymac

As far as why, dunno what cut PAR gets outta the gravel job, but their expense is pretty much limited to crew since NHN supplies the power.
As far as details, I strongly recommend that any who can gets a copy of Mike Enos's 2013 I Am the Train! It was originally offered through the B&MRRHS and may still be available from them. Enos had a 41-year career on the B&M and Guilford and bid back onto the gravel job after a 1993 move to Dover, having been on it prior to his 1987 move to Vermont. Because of the Big Dig, DOBO could be 70-80 cars and 8,000-10,000 tons while that project was active, per p. 97 in the book.