Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#469842  by NHN503

503 has had its electrical and cab refurbished, but has not had the new traction motors installed that NEGS provided.

She is still in NEGS paint, and hopefully will start touring the "system" in it before being repainted.

#505378  by NHN503

Late post. On my way to work on Friday, NHN put 3823 on the ground at the pit crossing. Ice pack put the rear truck on the ground. Rerailed about 5 hours latter.

#508395  by thebigham

Great pictures, Ian!

Thanks,

Chris

#508522  by b&m 1566

Nice pictures!
Just out of curiosity. Ian I believe you said in the NEGS thread that Pan Am wouldn't allow NEGS to use the plow sitting in Nashua to clear the line North of Concord what makes NHN so special? Other than the fact that NEGS and Pan Am are at each other’s throats... am I missing something or is that just the reason.

#508560  by NHN503

b&m 1566 wrote:Nice pictures!
Just out of curiosity. Ian I believe you said in the NEGS thread that Pan Am wouldn't allow NEGS to use the plow sitting in Nashua to clear the line North of Concord what makes NHN so special? Other than the fact that NEGS and Pan Am are at each other’s throats... am I missing something or is that just the reason.
Well I said they most likely wouldn't let NEGS use it. It pretty much comes down to working relationship. NHN/PAR are pretty good, whereas obviously NEGS/PAR are not. I believe Petes contract says he has no car hire on all B&M/MEC marked cars, so I believe the plow usage would be free, but you would still have to pay for a PAR crew as none of the NEGS guys are plow certified. And since the WM branch does not really produce any $ for PAR, you can pretty much guess that crews or plows would be "unavailable". NEGS does have the flanger up at Tilton also. Pete and I were talking about it the other day and how we should have came down with it the week before.....hindsight is 20/20!

#533100  by Mattydred

I saw more of what I'm assuming are steel cars on today's OPDO. They look like old TTRX flatties with finger racks. Which customer on the line is getting shipments on these cars? Any insight would be great.

#533174  by NHN503

Those would be coming/going to the Ossipee Team Track just off the engine house lead. They are offloaded by MacFarlane (sp?) steel out of Fryeburg (one of the customers MDOT would like to get on the Mt. Div).

Their car count is off and on. Sometimes its 3 cars a week, some times in excess of 10 a day, depends on their building projects. They had a cool train back in March with 19 loaded gons and flats that caused a traction motor to burn out on Wakefield Hill.

#533179  by Mattydred

Realistically, how far away are we from the Conway branch reopening all the way to North Conway? Then, the Mountain Div. to Fryeburg? I know the bridge over the Saco is gone east of Redstone and I've read NHDoT's report about the Conway branch, and it was promising. What are the challenges? The economy, NIMBYs, price of oil, the ridiculous highway worker's union in New Hampshire? When, if ever would this happen?

If anyone hasn't seen it, here's the PDF with the state's report on the branch.

#533204  by b&m 1566

Unless it fell down over this past winter the bridge over the Saco River east of Redstone is still there.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Thu May 08, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#533262  by NHN503

Its still there, its "outta service" because the decking and rail have been decked over for the snowmobile clubs.

#533303  by Mattydred

Unless it fell down over this past winter the bridge over the Saco River east of Redstone is still there.
Whoops. That's bad juju. I thought it was out for some reason. I thought I heard that once. Or, I misinterpreted 'out of service'. Thanks guys. Any opinions on my question?

#533590  by b&m 1566

It will be a while... Until the state can find away to fund railroad projects nothing is going to happen. Once that is taken care of I would think they would move forward. The next order of business for the Conway Branch is an environmental impact study and at this time the state has no plans on conducting such a study (as we all know that's when things seem to get turned upside down). Other than a small neighborhood that was constructed next to the ROW in either Ossipee or Madison there really isn't much in the way as far as NIMBY's go but there are two beaver dams that need to be removed and you know that's going to stall a project like this with law suits fallowing an environmental impact study.
As for the Mt. Division up to Fryeburg, I couldn't really tell you, I don't know much about the track east of Fryeburg. I do believe the state of Maine is in the process of a feasibility study which started last year (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case we'll most likely have to wait another year or two for the final report on that. It took the state of NH about two years to conduct a feasibility study on the Conway Branch with the help of NHN and some small input from the CSRR.