Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#379243  by CVRA7

Last weekend for the first time in many, many years I visited parts of the line north of Rochester. I was impressed with the overall conditon of the line, the NHNC looks like they have done a nice job fixing up their portion. I was also surprise to see the line north of Ossipee looking surprisingly good - seems like during my previous visit I could hardly see the track up that way as it was so overgrown - now it looks like it has been opened up enough to allow the comfortable passage of track cars.
I also saw some rather curious activity going on at Silver Lake - looks like some sort of "rail ride" on some motor-hand-car based equipment is being developed - rather unique looking items from what I could detect, as they were tarped over I couldn't see most details. The passenger station was getting some work, alterations rather than restoration, but it looks like it's in decent shape.
In spite of all the bad-mouthing that has been tossed at the state of New Hampshire concerning rail investment, I'd say they have done well with the preservation of several lines including this one. Maybe some distant day it will be feasible to restore some sort of through passenger service to the route - it will be a scenic ride!
 #379258  by CVRA7

I just found the other posts regarding the Ossippee-Silver Lake-Conway line. Good reports, Ian! Best wishes to you all in keeping the line open.

#379497  by NHN503

Thanks,

We (and the Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club) had NHDOT come down in October to cut the line. They cut 8'-10' out from the railhead from just south of Old Rt. 28, north with the arm mounted brush hog. :-D

We will be looking to have them cut the entire Wolfeboro line this year.

I am also in the process of building a self-propelled machine (looks like a Fairmont ballast regulator) that will have the ability to have 3 brush hogs, or 3 72" finish mowers attached to maintain the lines better.

#391246  by NHN503

Just got word that NHN GP38-2 3825 will be entering the paint shop (if it hasn't already) to be painted in the NHN black and green paint. There is word that they will also be looking at purchasing another unit this summer.

GP9 1757 will be running from Ossipee to Tri-City in Rochester on the shuttle trains as soon as the Milton washout is fixed. The NHN crews expect to finish repairing the washout today.

#391951  by NHN503

3825 emerged today as lead unit on DOBO to Boston in brand new paint!

#395279  by PVRX1

Whats the current operations of the NHN. I understand the whole Bostong Big Dig project had alot of stone running for several years, but I understand that most of this has slowed down.

Is the railroad still running out of Dover, or has stuff shifted back to Ossippee? Etc, Etc.

#395293  by Dick H

Operations of the NHN are as follows:

Monday: morning round trip from the pit to Tri-City and return. Afternoon run to Dover with anywhere from 12 to 30 cars for DOBO

Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday: morning run from Dover to the pit, with a stop at Tri-City. mid-day run from the pit to Tri-City. mid to late afternoon run to Dover for DOBO. May work at Tri-City

Friday: morning run from Dover to the pit, with a stop at Tri-City. May do a mid-day run from the pit to Tri-City and return to the pit.

With the Big Dig completed, total carloads to Boston are less than twenty-five percent of the hey-days of the late 1990's. NHN still handles LPG to Tri-City and cars of steel products to Ossipee, where they are unloaded and trucked to a facility in Fryeburg, ME.

Dick H

#395327  by PVRX1

Thank you. This is probably the only New England railroad I haven't got a chance to railfan yet.

#395369  by GP40MC 1116

Ian MacMillan wrote:Just got word that NHN GP38-2 3825 will be entering the paint shop (if it hasn't already) to be painted in the NHN black and green paint. There is word that they will also be looking at purchasing another unit this summer.

GP9 1757 will be running from Ossipee to Tri-City in Rochester on the shuttle trains as soon as the Milton washout is fixed. The NHN crews expect to finish repairing the washout today.
Ian or anyone who can help me,

besides the two GP38-2's and the GP9 1757, do they have another GP9 around or have the rest been sold?

#395504  by Dick H

NHN GP9s

1755 Sold to Adrian & Blissfied RR in Michigan

1756 Currently at the GRS/PAR shops in Waterville. Several stories making the rounds on what the plans are for it. It suffered a fire last fall and was not servicable when it left the NHN in March.

1757 Still on the NHN. Unsure whether it is servicable or not. Reportredly, has "issues" that would not permit it off the NHN.

1758 Sold to the Adrain & Blissfield in Michigan
1759 Sold to the Adrain & Blissfield in Michigan
1760 Sold to the Adrain & Blissfield in Michigan.

Initially, the ADBF only used the 1760. The other three were vandalized on the ADBF. A large ethanol plant is being constructed on the ADBF and they projected they needed the NHN GP9s to supplement their own two GP9s. The ethanol plant construction was long delayed, but was now under construction at last report. Railfan reports on the ADBF are hard to come by.

Reportedly the NHN is looking for another GP38-2. However, good GP-38-2 locos are bringing premium dollar on the used locomotive market.

Dick H

#395567  by b&m 1566

Why don't they look for other units then if the GP38-2 are being sold at a premium? What about a GP40 or something; or do they cost more?

#395590  by greenus90

The Gp 40's are likely cheaper, but also produce 3000 HP, and have a turbo. More fuel consumed and more maintenance for nearly equivalent tractive effort. Meaning, they can haul the same tonnage with Gp38-2s using less fuel and requiring less maintenance than comparable GP40's.

Since they are hauling sand and rock (?) in bulk, they do not need to necessarily move it quickly. Moving freight quickly requires lot o horsepower,where the GP40s would shine. The GP38's do just fine, as did the previous Gp9's in that service.

#395647  by GP40MC 1116

Dick H wrote:NHN GP9s

1755 Sold to Adrian & Blissfied RR in Michigan

1756 Currently at the GRS/PAR shops in Waterville. Several stories making the rounds on what the plans are for it. It suffered a fire last fall and was not servicable when it left the NHN in March.

1757 Still on the NHN. Unsure whether it is servicable or not. Reportredly, has "issues" that would not permit it off the NHN.

1758 Sold to the Adrain & Blissfield in Michigan
1759 Sold to the Adrain & Blissfield in Michigan
1760 Sold to the Adrain & Blissfield in Michigan.

Initially, the ADBF only used the 1760. The other three were vandalized on the ADBF. A large ethanol plant is being constructed on the ADBF and they projected they needed the NHN GP9s to supplement their own two GP9s. The ethanol plant construction was long delayed, but was now under construction at last report. Railfan reports on the ADBF are hard to come by.

Reportedly the NHN is looking for another GP38-2. However, good GP-38-2 locos are bringing premium dollar on the used locomotive market.

Dick H
Thanks Dick!!!!!

#395805  by MEC407

Actually, even GP40s are getting difficult to find... and because of the scarcity and expense of GP38s, a lot of railroads are buying GP40s and converting them to GP38-2s. Even the big guys like NS, CP, and BNSF are doing it.

Heck, even old GE Dash 7s are in demand... shortlines like them, and the Class I roads are turning them into either Green Goats or remote control platforms.

NHN might want to get in touch with Larry's Truck & Electric regarding the big batch of GP15-1s that NS just sold to LTE. Those won't last long!