Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#922900  by Mcoov

What is service on the NH Line like? What runs on this line currently? I know about the Bow coal train, but is there anything else north of Lowell? How does service currently compare to what it was in the past?
 #922977  by cpf354

North Chelmsford to Concord, NH is what we're asking about, right? My understanding is that it is served by locals out of Nashua. There are also special haz-mat trains that serve Jones Chemical in Merrimack and PSNH at Bow.
I would say that service has been reduced over the years due to the loss of some major customers, especially Hampshire Chemical in Nashua, however since New England Southern's departure/eviction Pan Am now serves the cement company in Bow and the feed company at Bow, at least.
The Nashua locals also venture up the Hillsborogh Branch from time to time.
 #922986  by b&m 1566

Pan Am services the line weekly from Nashua to Concord. Anheuser Busch in Merrimack, Quebec Cement in Bow, PSNH in bow (tankers), Blue Seal Feed in Bow, PSNH in Concord (telephone poles), and a scrap metal company in Concord (I forget the name). I believe there's a lumber company in Concord as well and don't forget the interchange with New England Southern, as there's a few customers up in the Tilton area. There's a couple more customers in the Manchester area, as well as one other in Merrimack by the old depot.
There's also the Hillsborough branch which is serviced as needed to Milford with the handful of customers on the line. There was an interchange with the Milford and Bennington but that stopped a year and a half ago, with no certainty that it will happen again.
 #923137  by BowdoinStation

It looks like Friday is Concord day on Pan Am.. I seem to catch a GP40, Friday afternoons over the past four or five Fridays. Sometimes finding a train left unattended and the engine running, south of the South Main Street overpass, and behind Sanel's on Route 3A.. Although the crew could be enjoying some good chow at "The Common Man", an easy walk from the tracks. Not much happpening with NEGS since their GP39-2 that tipped last February, is still sitting north of the interchange under the I-393 bridge.
 #923708  by Ridgefielder

Mcoov wrote:How does service currently compare to what it was in the past?
How far in the past are you talking about? This line-- like probably 80% of the rest of the in-service trackage in New England-- is only the palest shadow of what it was 60+ years ago when it was part of a through route to Montreal (via both Wells River and White River Jct.) and the mills of the Merrimack Valley were still clattering away.
 #923934  by davidp

b&m 1566 wrote:... there's a few customers up in the Tilton area. ....
Other than the private cabooses? I'm not sure how many businesses could deal the seasonal suspension of service. When did the last revenue freight car move north of Concord?

Dave
 #924042  by FatNoah

Other than Hobo Railroad, Clark's, etc. the last customer that I know of is 3M in Tilton. Not sure if they're currently a customer or now.
 #924171  by b&m 1566

davidp wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:... there's a few customers up in the Tilton area. ....
Other than the private cabooses? I'm not sure how many businesses could deal the seasonal suspension of service. When did the last revenue freight car move north of Concord?

Dave
I believe the last move north of Concord, was in December or early January. Since 2370's derailment in early February, there hasn't been anything. The state reversed the seasonal only operations, between Concord and Tilton last summer so New England Southern, could service their customers all year long.
 #924423  by BowdoinStation

With the 2370 sitting on the main, nothing is going north of "Concordia" at present time. Caught a Pan Am 'local' in idling in Bow the other day, a nicely painted blue gp40 with a sizable load of at least 20 cars heading north to Concord.. Telephone poles, and lots of mixed cars, one of the bigger locals I have seen. The Bow Blue Seal looks like there is some good regular activity. Also looks like there's some activity on the "Northern" spur in Concord as well from Pan Am, saw a covered hopped on a siding I have not noticed before. Guess you can tell I live amd work around Concord..
'
 #924566  by b&m 1566

If you're talking about South Commerial Street, that use to be Agway. I didn’t mention it in my first post, because I thought that location (Agway) closed and became something else. Nice to see they are using rail, Agway or not!
 #1326969  by newpylong

Attached is a photo from this weekend of the partially restored Enfield, NH depot along the Northern Rail Trail (Northern Mainline). A lot of work was put into the building in the past few years, it used to be pretty decrepit. Of interest, the town of Enfield in the near future will be entering into proceedings to purchase two parcels from the state that are adjacent to both Mascoma Lake and the right of way. One of the stipulations is that the property will be returned to the state in the event of rail activation. They also are not allowing municipalities to remove any further rail bridges. In our dreams!

Period photo:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqN,!lkE4lnVetEHBORTU1WgF!~~0_35.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another beautiful depot and small rail museum is the Potter Place station in Andover, NH, only a handful or so rail miles from this location.
 #1326995  by Rockingham Racer

trainsinmaine wrote:Ah, I can see it now . . . all those folk lined up on the Potter Place platform awaiting the Acela to Montreal. :wink:
I was thinking more like: Danbury...