Railroad Forums 

• New Genesee Junction Turntable photo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#122044  by FarmallBob

Nice photo Scot(!) ...FB

#122227  by nessman

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

Ugh.

#122238  by scottychaos

yeah..sorry about that.
that portion of all my websites goes way back to 1996 when I first started making webpages.
its on Geocities because it was free, it was all I had at the time, and I didnt know any better then..
Geocities is amazingly lame as a webpage host, if more than 2 people look at your page in 24 hours they lock it as "exceeding bandwith"..
I agree..ugh.
maybe I will move that page eventually over to my REAL spaces..

none of my other railroad pages will ever lock up! ;)
thats the only one..
I should really move it.

Scot

#199224  by SST

I think Mr Nessman and I have discussed in the past where the turn table was and it seemed to be under ROC's airspace. Reviewing the topo map and comparing it to my charts, you can problably see the approach lights to RWY 04. Clearly not able to do any aerial railfanning in this case.

The lowest possible altitude to fly over the pit and not talk with ROC would be 5500ft and a good zoom on the camera. It's doable but not up close.

If your departing ROC on RWY 22 get a seat on a/c left as I'm pretty sure the pit is to the left of the centerline and just past the fence. Landing RWY 04, sit on a/c right.

#199272  by FarmallBob

SST wrote: If your departing ROC on RWY 22 get a seat on a/c left as I'm pretty sure the pit is to the left of the centerline and just past the fence. Landing RWY 04, sit on a/c right.
Indeed! The pit is only about 200 yards east of a southward (more or less...) extension the RWY 04/22 centerline. Or as the crow flies it's approx 1,000 yards due south from the runway threshold.

I've been unsuccessful spotting the pit while aboard a couple of commercial flights recently - though they have been with leaves on the trees.

----

That local.live.com shot is amazing! ...FB

#199294  by bwparker1

How do you use local.live.com to get those types of views?

Brooks

#199351  by brockportman

been there, preety cool spot. everyone in the area should check it out sometime.

#199356  by FarmallBob

brockportman wrote:been there, pretty cool spot.
Next time you visit, climb into the pit and stand at it's exact center (stand on the small concrete riser). Then make any kind of sound - finger snap, whistle, belch, camera shutter click, etc. The aural effect of the resulting "360 deg echo" at this spot is weird and amazing!! ...FB

#199396  by brockportman

thanks bob. i will try that the next time i go. might be in the next few weeks.
 #200443  by the1jp

Scottychaos:
Will the changes to the Greenway make it easier to get to the turntable? I drive through the intersection of Scottsville & Jefferson Rd's most days coming home from work but haven't had the time to go down there.
 #200475  by FarmallBob

the1jp wrote:Scottychaos:
Will the changes to the Greenway make it easier to get to the turntable?
Nope!

The Greenway construction currently underway is a "new" trail section running just south of (and parallel to...) the CSX/LA&L ROW between Scottsville Rd and the the point where the PRR once crossed the Westshore.

The turntable pit is several hundred yards west of this point. It will thus remain well-hidden. ...FB
 #200503  by scottychaos

the1jp wrote:Scottychaos:
Will the changes to the Greenway make it easier to get to the turntable? I drive through the intersection of Scottsville & Jefferson Rd's most days coming home from work but haven't had the time to go down there.
as FB said, the new greenway work wont have any impact on how easy it is to get to the pit..it will remain easy, you will just be able to approach the area from both ways on the Greenway now, rather than only one way.
but the greenway wont go beside the pit..
no one will ever find it unless they know it is there and is specifically looking for it.

Scot

#378397  by dj_paige

I had the pleasure of visiting the turntable this morning. Definitely a pleasant trip! I didn't have the courage to climb down into the pit like FarmallBob said. But I took some nice pictures (including the 1910 carved into the walls) and generally had a nice but muddy hike.

But this leads to a question... why build a turntable here in the first place? Would it not be possible to use the NYC/PRR interchange tracks at Genesee Junction as a wye? Why couldn't you turn the engines that way?