Railroad Forums 

• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #665870  by Plate C

Thanks, but it's pretty much like what the guy above said. Dude was a jerk and I stand by that, sorry if that ruffles your feathers.
 #665988  by Noel Weaver

Plate C wrote:Thanks, but it's pretty much like what the guy above said. Dude was a jerk and I stand by that, sorry if that ruffles your feathers.
You have no idea what this individual has been through during his tour of duty. Maybe he had a problem of some sort and
you approached him at a bad time. Calling him a "jerk" is out of line in my opinion. Maybe, just maybe you came across
with a bad approach or maybe a bad attitude that he detected. Maybe you were trespassing or were somewhere that you
did not belong.
I am simply saying that there are TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY.
Noel Weaver
 #665993  by OneForTheKick

Plate C wrote:Thanks, but it's pretty much like what the guy above said. Dude was a jerk and I stand by that, sorry if that ruffles your feathers.
With all due respect, you shouldn't have approached him in the first place. He's at work, and has a job to do. Having to worry about a railfan in the area is the last thing any of us want to do, and to follow that, the last thing I need is a million flashes from your camera to document my every move. If you were in a position where you could approach him, you were likely on RR ROW and were trespassing. As a railfan, you should know that trespassing on RR ROW (whether marked or not) is a bad idea because of the understood dangers involved regarding the job. If a railroad employee wants to talk to a buff, he'll approach them and let them know what's going on. You should not be approaching "us".

Railroading isn't a "Friendly" happy-go-lucky type environment, especially in current times. I know quite a few of us are under additional stress with the abolishing of the scheduled jobs and making everything operate off the spare board. As railroaders, we're not here to accommodate your hobby as a railfan, nor are we even encouraged to. The company specifically has special instructions from both corporate (RA / FIG) and the local level administration (NECR) to not talk about operations, schedules, manifest information, etc. If you want to push the issue, crews will just call the cops and then you won't be having much fun after that anyways. Wouldn't be the first railfan that's been served no-trespass orders for ANY part of railroad property. :wink:

Calling "us" (Read: NECR Employees) jerks won't help you at all, because some of us do read these forums. The ones that don't, generally will not speak and talk with railfans anyways.
 #666006  by Plate C

I can only laugh at the nonsense responses that occur on this site. Let's be clear about a few things here- as I didn't post the story, people are replying based on speculation with no knowledge of what happened, and as such much of your replies are based on little to nothing. It's funny how quick people are to place blame, like surely it must be the railfan's fault, jerks can be found everywhere in the world, but not on the RR, right? I was not trespassing, I was polite, I was not pointing my camera at anyone, I don't feel entitled to being able to talk w/ the crew, etc., etc., and said worker approached me where I was. Again, as already mentioned, regardless of situation it does not require one to be a jerk. I've talked to other NECR workers there who were more than happy to chat and were polite about setting a boundary on needing to get back to work or not answer questions. It's his choice not to, but again, no need to be a jerk. I already was nice enough to state in my initial post that perhaps he was having an off day, which didn't seem likely but I was willing to concede that perhaps it was that. I've dealt w/ all types around the RR and elsewhere but given this worker's attitude I decided to ask a trusted RR source who works for the RR and who has dealt w/ NECR before and his opinion was the people there are either real nice or a**holes, and that's coming straight from the rails. I guess the same could be said about people in life in general, it's just not what I've come to expect there. As for any NECR crew member reading this, sorry, but your coworker acted like a jerk. I have no problem saying that and have no worries about you, him, or anyone else reading it. If he doesn't like the characterization, change the attitude. A small amount of politeness goes a long way, it's common sense and common courtesy.
 #666065  by Otto Vondrak

Plate C wrote:I can only laugh at the nonsense responses that occur on this site... A small amount of politeness goes a long way, it's common sense and common courtesy.
There's two sides to every story. Railroading is a job for these people, not a hobby. When the rulebook says "Don't discuss railroad business with those outside the railroad," some folks take that seriously. To you it's a hobby and you're wondering why you were brushed back, to him he's at work wondering why someone with no legitimate connection to the railroad asking about train schedules.

Let's drop it and move on...

-otto-
 #697930  by Dick H

Here's a few updates on White River Jct.

The station appears now to be fully occupied. The NECR had moved their yard office into the station, where the rail museum used to be, after the engine house burned down last year. However, now they have moved their yard office into the offices on the south end of the station, where the GMRC was previously selling tickets and using office space for the White River Flyer. The GMRC has now taken over most, if not all, of the former museum space and has set up a modest gift shop, in addition to selling tickets for the White River Flyer, that is operating four days a week through the summer, Thursday through Sunday at 11:30 and 2:30. The GMRC RS-1 405 is kept at WRJ for this work. The WACR crews are using the stand alone former ticket office for their headquarters. The NECR local day job goes to work after the southbound Vermonter and ties up in the early evening opposite the station on the passing siding.

It is possible to view the south yard from the Nutt street crossing, without going beyond the No Trespassing sign. The Claremont and Concord #102 (S-2) is currently assigned to the West Lebanon (Westboro) operation. The WACR currently has the 202 and 307 assigned to the "Pompie" between WRJ and Newport. They do run most days, Monday through Friday, but may be cancelled if there is insufficient work. The northbound and southbound trains swap crews wherever they meet, sometimes at the north end of the Wells River siding or elsewhere. The C&C works "as required", usually in the morning.

Dick
 #713702  by TNT314159

Can anyone tell me about what times NECR freights pass through Amherst MA? I know I've seen them between 2 and 3pm but I am new to the area so I don't know all the times. Also, will NECR operate tomorrow Sept 7 (labor day)? Thanks!
 #713789  by Cadet57

The only one I know of that heads north is around 2, so the one you see. I watch it switch in palmer then head north.
 #724561  by SkiScorcher88

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody knew where Yankee Candle receives their freight from. I know the wax that they use requires constant heat and was wondering if they unload it immediately or store the product in rail cars somewhere until it is needed. Thanks!

-Ski
Last edited by SkiScorcher88 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #724586  by atsf sp

I think a lot of truck operations and there factory is on the NECR in Deerfield.