Railroad Forums 

• New diesel at Strasburg

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#572671  by metman499

Strasburg RR has bought a new diesel, an EMD SW-8 formerly of the Lewisburg and Buffalo Creek. It was sitting in their engine house yesterday and is reportedly in good shape mechanically. This should relegate the 44 tonner to a semi-retired status.
 #573583  by scotty269

Sounds good! I was just up there last weekend and was very impressed with the operation. I plan on taking a few more trips in the future, too.
 #573815  by paddlecreekjunction

I was at the Strasburg RR on Friday in the rain. The SW8 was out on the track. It crossed the road went into the PA RR Museum and returned.
DSC_0043aw.jpg
 #574374  by tj48

Other than switching the passenger cars around, what would they be using the SW8 for that the 44 tonner wasn't already doing? I have been to the Strasburg R.R. many times and it seems that the steamers always handled just about everything.
 #574651  by rob216

This is a direct quote from Kelly Anderson from another site.

Seriously though, with the advancing age of our 44 tonner’s wiring, as well as the complete lack of repair parts available for her tired Cat D-17000 engines, as well as the increasing tonnage of our trains, and the potential for more freight business made the need for something more semi-urgent.

We had searched high and low for D-17000 parts, or even a complete serviceable engine and came up completely blank. We looked into re-engining with modern Cummins six cylinder engines (about 1/4 the size of the ponderous old Cat V8's), But when it became apparent that we had one of the last, if not the last completely original 44 tonners extant, Linn’s preservationist instincts took over and he removed that option from the table.

Richie Maggs was familiar with this SW 8 and its mechanical condition from past employment, and also knew it was available in Northumberland, PA. A price check against several other similar EMD’s around the east showed that the price was very reasonable. Upon inspection, even though the engine had been stored for two years, when filled with water, it started right up from its own batteries.

Going from memory, I believe it was built in 1953 for the New York Central as their #8618. We have returned it to that number, though I understand that it will be painted basic black.

http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=25952
 #576507  by SRC90

Also, remember when 475, 89, 90, and 7312 was out for service a few months ago? It was a weekend train, so that means 8 cars, 9331 had to pull all of them. On the return trip from Leaman's Place, it was just creeping up that grade with full power. This SW8 has a lot more traction power then the 44 tonner does. So if something like that is to ever happen again, the SW8 will make up for the loss of motive power.
 #577812  by mxdata

It was very sad to see the disrespectful attitude expressed toward this locomotive in the postings on RYPN. There aren't a lot of SW8's to start with, this one is over 50 years old, and hasn't had a lot of alterations made to it. It is a museum worthy piece in its own right.

The situation kind of reminded me of a report a Steamtown railcamper gave at a recent NHRS chapter meeting:
"They talked about steam locomotives all week long, but whenever they had to do anything they started up the diesel".

MX
 #577814  by scotty269

If you're not working for the Railroad, or the Museum, you should not feel like you have the right to criticize the decisions they make. If the Strasburg needs a backup locomotive / switcher and their current locomotive which has that role is coming to the end of its useful life, wether it be because of a lack of parts, or heavy wear-and-tear over the years, there should be no issues with it being replaced.
 #577865  by tj48

"and the potential for more freight business made the need for something more semi-urgent." I wonder what might be in the works. I haven't seen any freight cars there since the covered hoppers with plastic pellets that they use to unload next to their engine house. Do they still do this?
 #613226  by RS115

It would be great for them to get some freight business. In addition to the income it helps them in another way. When I was there last spring talking to one of the employees I asked about freight. He said they hadn't had any in quite some time and there were actually concerns about their common carrier status. If they were to loose that then Lancaster County would tax them at the higher rates charged tourist attractions.
 #613356  by Big2-10-0

I remember seeing her years ago pulling a little excursion train up and down the west shore line in Lewisburg. I never had a chance to take that ride on that line until I decided to apply for the North Shore railroad and they put me on a train crew that same day.(Never did get hired) Now North Shore railraod operates on the line. Nice to see it where she will be put to good use. I hope the Strasburg Railraod gets more freight service just to help them out.
 #614617  by BiggAW

This is pretty cool. I was always surprised that they didn't have any decent sized diesel switchers. I live near the Essex Valley railroad, and they have two GE diesels, an 80 ton, and an 88 ton, in addition to their two-going-on-three steam locomotives.

Will this eliminate the need for a "hot spare" steam locomotive when they run longer trains? When I was there over the summer, they were going to run two trains for July 4th, and they were running one that day. They had 475 on the train, 90 ready to go for the weekend trains, and 89 as a hot spare, fully steamed up. It seemed like a huge waste of money for a locomotive that probably isn't needed.

Considering how hard the steamers have to work to get up the grade, I'm surprised that 44 made it at all!

With the new locomotive, I hope that they keep 44 in fully working order, however, if only as a backup to the new one. It would be a shame to see it deteriorate because it has been replaced. If it is not often used, and doesn't have to haul a heavy load, it should last much better...
 #614625  by BiggAW

Nevermind about it being used in the future, I just read in the other thread that it will be used for light yard work.