Railroad Forums 

• New CSX Rules For Radio Communications

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#63854  by SimTrains

Can you say more radio confusion??

NEW CSXT COMMUNICATION OF SIGNAL RULES BY RADIO:
Effective on Monday, November 1st, 2004 CSXT will now require new communication of signals and other important information by radio. A crewmember in the operating cab of an engine must announce by radio the following conditions or occurrences:

(A) The name and location of each block and controlled point signal.

(B) Train entry into TWC authority from any location.

(C) Train departure from each TWC authority, as soon as the authority is reported clear to the train dispatcher.

(D) Passenger train arrival and departure at passenger stations.

(E) The presence of cars loaded with pulpwood or poles in the train when passing trains or equipment on adjacent tracks.

(F) Train entrance into a passing siding.

(G) When stopping, and each fifteen minutes after being stopped, on a main track or passing siding.

These announcements must include the train ID, engine number, and direction of travel. In multiple track territory, the track name or number must be included in the announcement. Crewmembers not in the operating cab must acknowledge signal and TWC announcements. If a crewmember fails to acknowledge a communication, the engineer must determine the reason at the next scheduled stop.

#63890  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow, there are A LOT of new changes happenning Nov. 1 the MBTA, AMTRAK and CSX and probably other RR's

#63918  by crazy_nip

they have been doing that on the rest of the CSX system forever...

bout time you yankees get with the program

#64065  by CSX Conductor

It's to help keep those darn Selkirk pukes awake so they'll actually get the train over the road!! LOL :P

All it is going to do is tie-up an already congested radio. :(

#64067  by octr202

Yeah, I was wondering how long it must take to get a word in on that radio now...

etc

#64176  by Noel Weaver

CSX == Chicken Sh*t Express
Penn Central started with a lot of this kind of stuff back in 1969 and 1970,
look what happened to it and where it ended up.

#64335  by Robert Paniagua

CSX == Chicken Sh*t Express
Penn Central started with a lot of this kind of stuff back in 1969 and 1970,

Uhh.......that ain't good then. This is basically likem history repeating itself.........I don't like it either.
 #64342  by crazy_nip

Noel Weaver wrote:Penn Central started with a lot of this kind of stuff back in 1969 and 1970,
that is the worst analogy I have ever heard...

give me a break
 #64391  by Noel Weaver

crazy_nip wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:Penn Central started with a lot of this kind of stuff back in 1969 and 1970,

give me a break
Crazy Nip and others, you had to be there to experience and appreciate
what I posted. I was!!!!
Noel Weaver
 #64398  by crazy_nip

Noel Weaver wrote:
crazy_nip wrote:

give me a break
Crazy Nip and others, you had to be there to experience and appreciate
what I posted. I was!!!!
Noel Weaver

being there does not change the fact that this is an awful analogy...

that is like saying that because Penn Central painted their locomotives BLACK, and CSX started doing the same that somehow CSX will endure the same fate...

especially on these rules issues, these sorts of things (especially calling signals) makes things SAFER for everyone, especially calling when entering and exiting DTC blocks...

I can think of no legitimate reason to NOT do this

If you bring up the "too much communication chatter" nonsense, I would simply say that there needs to be more road radio channels

ETC

#64410  by Noel Weaver

I never said that painting engines had anything to do with safe operations.
The Norfolk Southern has probably the dullest paint but is a generally
safe, well maintained railroad for the most part.
The CSX on the other hand is doing the same things that Penn Central was
doing some 30+ years ago. It started with nonesense with their help,
cutbacks in maintenance, slow orders, derailments, increased operating
costs and finally the end.
This is what seems to be currently happening with CSX and I have talked
with not only engineers and conductors but also with former officials and
others in the know.
As I am typing this on Saturday afternoon, I sadly learn of two more
major derailments on CSX, one of which occurred near Little Falls, New
York on the line that I worked before my retirement.
It is so sad that the well run and well managed railroads that made up
CSX such as Seaboard Coast Line, Chesapeake and Ohio, Baltimore and
Ohio, Conrail etc end up in this mess of poorly run, poorly managed CSX.
I hate to have to post something like this but this is the way I see the
present situation.
Noel Weaver

#64499  by charlie6017

Please remember to keep it civil, everyone. Thanks, Charlie
 #64528  by crazy_nip

Noel Weaver wrote:The CSX on the other hand is doing the same things that Penn Central was
doing some 30+ years ago. It started with nonesense with their help,
cutbacks in maintenance, slow orders, derailments, increased operating
costs and finally the end.
perhaps, but why bring into the equation the rules consolidation??

This is a logical thing to do and (IMHO) a safer practice

and has nothing to do with your opinion of CSX failing and the penn central analogy is completely wrong / flawed

I think you completely missed my point about the paint

Please explain to me how consolidating the rulebook, which has some added safety measures (calling signals/blocks) will somehow contribute to CSX's demise
 #64640  by n01jd1

It seems like we are going backwards instead of foward with operating rules. NORAC was created so that for the most part (Metro North staying out of NORAC), train crews in the Northeast would have one rulebook and one set of rules. Now CSX personell will have to carry and 2 or more rulebooks to do thier jobs like it was back in the bad old days. For example a CSX crewman based out of Selkirk and qualified on the Hudson Line and the River Line will now have to carry and be familiar with CSX's rules, Metro North Rules and NORAC rules. Carrying all those books plus his tools and change of clothing has got to weigh down his "grip" not to mention having to attend three different book of rules classes every year. What is really needed is for all of the eastern railroads to get together and create one set of rules like they have out west. Something that was supposed to happen (I believe it was suppsed to be called ECOR) but apparently will not since CSX seems intent on having thier own rules.

[quote="crazy_nip"]perhaps, but why bring into the equation the rules consolidation??/quote]

#64656  by DutchRailnut

why would they still need NORAC if CSX is changing to new CSX rules ?