Railroad Forums 

• New CSX Radio Rules

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#63853  by SimTrains

Can you say more radio confusion??

NEW CSXT COMMUNICATION OF SIGNAL RULES BY RADIO:
Effective on Monday, November 1st, 2004 CSXT will now require new communication of signals and other important information by radio. A crewmember in the operating cab of an engine must announce by radio the following conditions or occurrences:

(A) The name and location of each block and controlled point signal.

(B) Train entry into TWC authority from any location.

(C) Train departure from each TWC authority, as soon as the authority is reported clear to the train dispatcher.

(D) Passenger train arrival and departure at passenger stations.

(E) The presence of cars loaded with pulpwood or poles in the train when passing trains or equipment on adjacent tracks.

(F) Train entrance into a passing siding.

(G) When stopping, and each fifteen minutes after being stopped, on a main track or passing siding.

These announcements must include the train ID, engine number, and direction of travel. In multiple track territory, the track name or number must be included in the announcement. Crewmembers not in the operating cab must acknowledge signal and TWC announcements. If a crewmember fails to acknowledge a communication, the engineer must determine the reason at the next scheduled stop.

#63859  by joshuahouse

I seem to recall that at the time of the Conrail split CSX required calling signals in the newly aquired territory, honestly all of those rules make sense to me except for the TWC rules, but thats because its an acronym I don't know.

#63860  by SimTrains

I don't know if this is a new security measure or what, but it seems to me that all this will do is clutter the air waves.

#63912  by clearblock

The new radio rules are part of the new CSX Rulebook that will replace NORAC on all former Conrail lines now operated by CSX. This will have all CSX lines under the same operating rules. There is a detailed thread on this topic over on the CSX forum.

Another change you may have noticed that is already in effect is that all Form D's to MofW for track out of service now have an expiration time when track must be returned to service.

#64045  by nydepot

Of course this helps those of us out railfanning and taking photos but from a security standpoint, it's an interesting change.

You currently have Homeland Security wanting the hazardous material placards removed from tank cars which has the fire companies and other emergency support people upset. All in the name of providing less info to the terrorists. Then you have a rail company instituting this poilicy which essentially tells the public (via the airwaves) where every train is at all times and what it is doing. You can hear what direction they are heading, what engine number, what track they are on, if they are stopping or still stopped, entering a station, etc.

I'm not complaining it's just interesting this push for more and less information being made available at the same time.

Charles

#64096  by nessman

I think if the terrorists wanted to disrupt our transportation system (highway, rail, etc...) they would have done so by now. Sure - 9/11 changed the way people take the subway and PATH trains in Lower Manhattan, and it gave the airline industry a serious case of indigestion - but for the most part, things like Amtrak train derailments now only get a brief mention on the news or make for a Discovery Channel special. It's simply too easy - but I don't think they see it being worthwhile since we as Americans are hardened to accidental disasters (i.e., bridge collapses, plane crashes, etc... big deal).

#64102  by nydepot

Yes, I completely agree. I wasn't really speaking of it helping terrorists but of the government heading down one path (less info) and the railroads another (more info).

Charles

#64203  by Ken W2KB

There's the possibility that CSX will move to digital or otherwise encripted transmissions.

#65005  by JBlaisdell

Encryption would pose several problems.

*Visiting road power would need be equipped for it or be set in as a trailing unit.

*ANYONE non-RR would not be able to listen in during emergencies, i.e. fire, police

*Encryption would not be secure against anyone who wants to break it. Conrail came out with "high security" switch locks and keys which some railfans had within months. Criminals/ terrorists will be able to monitor encrypted radio if they want to.

I personally think the new radio rules will be safer. Recall the near-collision upstate when a freight crew heard Amtrak call a signal and realized they were on a collision course? Announcing where your train is can only be a good thing.

#65103  by O-6-O

"I personally think the new radio rules will be safer. Recall the near-collision upstate when a freight crew heard Amtrak call a signal and realized they were on a collision course? Announcing where your train is can only be a good thing."

Ditto's JBlaisdell

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

#65921  by roadster

Calling the signals has been a CSX rule for many years as an attempt to reduce/eliminate trains blowing stop signals and having nasty collisons. The near collison in Syracuse was saved by the frieght train crew seeing the automatic go red in their face at Minoa, and then hearing Amtrak answering the detector. It's taking alittle getting used to but I personally like it and it is also a taped confirmation of what signal I am accepting. In a meeting in Syracuse in October, we were informed that so far this year there had been 140 engineer decert's due to red signal violations. This is for the entire CSX system. It seems that calling signals didn't solve the problem on prior CSX territories.

#66014  by charlie6017

I was out for quite awhile today and heard crews calling their signals, etc, etc. Airwaves were'nt anymore cluttered than usual. However, I did notice one thing. Are crews NOT answering the detectors? I was at the Kirkville detector early this AM and as I headed back toward Rochester, I stopped at CP 313 by the Brutus detector and heard the Lyons and East Palmyra ones as well later. I did not hear one crew respond to any of them. That's why I ask.

#66197  by charlie6017

I read on the CSX board that indeed crews do not have to answer detectors. Opinions anyone?

#66208  by videobruce

The detectors do NOT have to be responded to anymore............

#66242  by SteelWheels21

Out here on UP we don't have to respond to the detectors, but signals must be called. Another reason to do this besides the ones listed is to keep the crew awake and alert at all times. We have been provided with a lot of busy work to do to keep us awake...calling signals, recording indications less favorable than approach in our trip book, etc. A busy crew is an awake crew (unless you're in the hole somewhere for three or four hours LOL).