Railroad Forums 

• New Conductor, Cayce SC CSX

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1316007  by csxnewcomer

Does anyone have details on this yard. I start training next week, just curious about yard, local, road jobs. I'm ready to knock this training out and move over there. Also, say if seniority doesn't allow for much transition for years to come; is it possible to move somewhere else within the CSX network where there is more movement? Would your seniority reset?
 #1316203  by COEN77

csxnewcomer wrote:Does anyone have details on this yard. I start training next week, just curious about yard, local, road jobs. I'm ready to knock this training out and move over there. Also, say if seniority doesn't allow for much transition for years to come; is it possible to move somewhere else within the CSX network where there is more movement? Would your seniority reset?
On most of CSX a person is on a consolidated seniority roster. They hire in one terminal but may have seniority in other places with in a 200-300 mile radius. A person can exercise their seniority to other terminals even though they were never trained at that location. In most cases they'll have to do qualifying runs at a basic day rate the amount of time qualifying determined by a trainmaster. As for relocating outside of the seniority zone that's better done if someone has no seniority than later on. Transferring a person has to give up their seniority. They keep time in service for vacations etc..
 #1317425  by TotalLamer

COEN77 wrote:
csxnewcomer wrote:Does anyone have details on this yard. I start training next week, just curious about yard, local, road jobs. I'm ready to knock this training out and move over there. Also, say if seniority doesn't allow for much transition for years to come; is it possible to move somewhere else within the CSX network where there is more movement? Would your seniority reset?
On most of CSX a person is on a consolidated seniority roster. They hire in one terminal but may have seniority in other places with in a 200-300 mile radius. A person can exercise their seniority to other terminals even though they were never trained at that location. In most cases they'll have to do qualifying runs at a basic day rate the amount of time qualifying determined by a trainmaster. As for relocating outside of the seniority zone that's better done if someone has no seniority than later on. Transferring a person has to give up their seniority. They keep time in service for vacations etc..
In Cayce, SC he'll have WAY more than a 200-300 mile radius to work with. Cayce is in the CSRA. Consolidated Southern Region Agreement. CSRA extends far and wide... basically everywhere on the system from Richmond, VA and south. Miami, New Orleans, Nashville, etc...

If you choose to move from one terminal to another without, say, taking a Temporary or Permanent Transfer Bulletin however... that is to say, transferring just because you want to, you'll have to qualify on jobs at your new terminal "on your own time". That is to say, for free.

One thing I do know about Cayce is that there's an auto ramp there.
 #1317490  by COEN77

TotalLamer wrote:
In Cayce, SC he'll have WAY more than a 200-300 mile radius to work with. Cayce is in the CSRA. Consolidated Southern Region Agreement. CSRA extends far and wide... basically everywhere on the system from Richmond, VA and south. Miami, New Orleans, Nashville, etc...

One thing I do know about Cayce is that there's an auto ramp there.
The Southern Region went that far? Pretty much the entire SCL. I worked on the Northern Region out of Richmond on the C&O side. Our consolidated seniority was just in Virginia. I know the B&O covered a lot more territory on the consolidated roster.

I retired in 2010 definitely some changes on exercising seniority to a different location if one has to qualify on their own time. Is that a trainmen agreement? If a person is furloughed and makes a move do they still have to qualify on their own time?