Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#140888  by quadrock

Hey all...
I was just wondering, why does it take 4-5 years for only 340 new PATH cars to be built. I would understand if it was a radically different hi-tech design, or if they were long distances coaches, but I don't understand why it would take so long for PATH cars to be constructed and shipped. Anyone with any experience have any input?

Thanks in advance.

#140897  by Irish Chieftain

I think you know the basic reasons...they do need to be custom-built (no such thing as an off-the-shelf Hudson & Manhattan railcar); there's that bid process (looking for the low-ball, every time); the cars, subsequently, need to be up to current FRA specs, since the PATH is a FRA railroad and not FTA like the New York Subway.

Not to mention that the PANYNJ probably has its budget drained, due to 9/11/01 and rebuilding the WTC and tunnels leading to that station out of pocket...

#142002  by quadrock

I understand that the railcars need to be custom-built but I still don't see why it would take over 4 years to do so. Then again, I could definietly see why the budget constraints would do so. Does anyone know how profitable the PATH rail system is as a whole?

#142301  by Allan

PATH profitable?????

Very good joke.

Seriously - PATH is a heavily subsidized operation and has been from the start when the Port Authority was forced to take over when the H & M went bankrupt.

#142336  by JLo

True, but as railroads go, it is probably less subsidized then most others. The PA has lots of money from the airport parking and tunnel and bridge tolls. It runs HUGE surpluses after operating and capital improvement costs. But even the PA has to have a budget. Remember, it is paying for so much no-PA stuff, like $500 million to NY for an LIRR connection to Lower Manhattan, $250 million for NJT bi-level railcars, $150 million for rail link to Xanadudu, it probably has to stretch out the order. Plus, the builders and workers prefer to stretch it out, as it allows the plant to run for many years while awaiting more orders.

#143034  by arrow

Subsidized yes, but not with public money so I'd say it does pretty well.

#219115  by dgraiani

On average for every $1.50 you put into the turnstile, it costs PANYNJ roughly $5.00. The Port Authority pools all of its income and expenses into one. They make their money from the GWB and Newark Airport, mostly.